Help me find these screwdrivers! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
I took over teaching a residential electricity class this year, and there is a lab where the students actually do some hands-on wiring of basic circuits. I noticed that the screwdrivers (both #2 Phillips and straight-blade) are very dull, so I want to replace them all now that I have end-of-year money to get rid of. The straight blade ones are particularly in need of replacement, they are dangerously dull, they slip off the screws and I'm afraid somebody is gonna stab themselves.

The problem is I can't find an exact replacement. They are standard round-shaft screwdrivers with a "keystone" tip. The unique thing about these that is really nice is the wrench in the handle for installing and removing wire nuts, very handy.

IMAG0859.jpg

IMAG0861.jpg

I know what you're thinking... "those are made by Klein" but they aren't. I called Klein and they assured me they never made a screwdriver with a wrench in the handle like that. The only identifying marks on the handle are "Cushion-Grip" (which I found out is not a Klein trademark, others use it), and a patent number 2871899, which apparently was granted in 1959, and not to Klein or any of their employees.

I hate to give up that feature, but I may have to, unless anybody here knows of a similar tool? I need 8 of them.

I never knew we needed a tool to put a wire nut on properly twisted conductors.......:meh:. That is what fingers are for.

Klein screwdrivers are solid all the way through, maybe an older style Klein? Looks as if the tops have been knocked out and the inside of the handle is hollow.

They look like Klein's to me.

Klein screwdrivers are solid all the way through, maybe an older style Klein?

I know what you're thinking... "those are made by Klein" but they aren't. I called Klein and they assured me they never made a screwdriver with a wrench in the handle like that.

That’s pretty much been covered at this point…

Best I could find was Ideal’s Twist-A-Nut line: http://www.idealind.com/us/en/produ...s/1-twist-a-nut/twist-a-nut-screwdrivers.aspx

Twist-a-Nut™ Pro Screwdrivers are designed especially for the professional electrician. Features patent pending Accu-Loop™ wire looping holes in handle and wire connector wrench in handle that eases installation of twist-on-connectors.

IDEAL-21-in-1-Screwdriver6.jpg

Hmmm... Ideal makes OK stuff, not the greatest though. I might give them a try, thanks for finding that.

The one in the picture looks to be one of their ratcheting versions, but there are “regular” “pro” screwdrivers too - down at the bottom of the page.

Ya I ordered a 30-331 from Amazon as a test to see how they look. If they're nice I'll get a bunch more.

My brother is an electrician and he has had those. I'd have said Klein, too. But Ideal is another possibility.

I got the Ideal 30-331. It's OK, but not as good as the Kleins. Doesn't fit in my shop cabinet either, the handle is too long. I'll probably just order a bunch of the Kleins and be done.

I took over teaching a residential electricity class this year, and there is a lab where the students actually do some hands-on wiring of basic circuits. I noticed that the screwdrivers (both #2 Phillips and straight-blade) are very dull, so I want to replace them all now that I have end-of-year money to get rid of. The straight blade ones are particularly in need of replacement, they are dangerously dull, they slip off the screws and I'm afraid somebody is gonna stab themselves.

The problem is I can't find an exact replacement. They are standard round-shaft screwdrivers with a "keystone" tip. The unique thing about these that is really nice is the wrench in the handle for installing and removing wire nuts, very handy.

View attachment 1261394
View attachment 1261395

I know what you're thinking... "those are made by Klein" but they aren't. I called Klein and they assured me they never made a screwdriver with a wrench in the handle like that. The only identifying marks on the handle are "Cushion-Grip" (which I found out is not a Klein trademark, others use it), and a patent number 2871899, which apparently was granted in 1959, and not to Klein or any of their employees.

I hate to give up that feature, but I may have to, unless anybody here knows of a similar tool? I need 8 of them.

Maybe Bridgeport

I always thought the older yellow/black like that were vintage Stanley?

I thought I had a few of these, but all I could find was a #1 flat. Same patent number, I then thought maybe someone pried all of the end caps out of the OP's set, but mine seems to have a solid translucent yellow core.

Epilogue: Sadly, all those tools and that entire shop space is now gone. They killed my program 2 years ago, we graduated our last student last May. No more 2-year "hands-on" teaching with tons of practical knowledge. I'm up with all the much smarter folks (which have been great to work with) in the 4-year Civil Engineering program.

I donated all the electrical tools and supplies to the electrician training program at the local high school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom