Help me find an article on 465 shifter slop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've looked and looked, I cant find an article I read about how to fix shifter slop on an sm465, if eany one knows ware to find it please let me know.

Also I read something about removing snaprings and replacing them with a spacer, eany info woulc be great thanks!:D

If your talking about the Snaprings on the countershaft , I don't think they have much to do with shifter slop but you definately want to replace them. I had to drive home with 1st and second gear only. A real slow ride. Have you tried a differant shifter. My original one was all over. Someone gave me a newer one and it shifts much better.

You could try a shifter from another 465 or a 420 some models came with a three piece shifter. Shifter, Sleeve and pin some trannies came with one piece shifters which were inherently "tighter" when shifting. I think you could also weld the pieces togther for a tighter feel if that is the type you have . Pull it out and post a pic .

some shifters have a sleeve that uses two little "o" rings to lessen the vibration in the stick..when they wear.. it may feel like there is excess play in the shifter...
you can "rebuild" the shfter lever with some "o" rings from your local hard ware store.. it is quite simple. take yours out and see if it has a sleeve with a roll pin in it, if so... remove the roll pin seperate the two parts and inspect the little rings
change em or weld it together and you should be good to go.
hth

Weld It

Take it out and look where all the slop is. It's rear simple, you'll see when you get it out.

Clean it up good and weld it all back together.

I welded mine up. It was so bad it would not go into second gear except at idle. Now it can handle 5000 rpms shifts.

J.R.

Thanks for the help.I am talking about the snaprings on the countershaft. I need more info on this, do I just replace with new or It sounded like the snaprings got tossed and replaced with a sleve or collar.

Goto Driveline.com or such and look at a parts breakdown. It will show the spacer part# it replaces two snaprings and a smaller spacer I think. If the snapring breaks your third counter gear moves around and that ain't cool. Many 465's have aready been changed and later ones came that way so you might want to look first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom