Help me find a Fuel Filler Neck for my Auxiliary Fuel Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GRM

Finding new adventures in old jalopies.
Threads
I'm looking for some help replacing the fuel filler neck on my FJ40.

Let me give you a little background. My truck had a Man a Fre auxiliary fuel tank installed in the early 70's. During this swap, the last owner had the fuel tank filler swapped from the passenger side to the drivers side. With this swap, they also made a new fuel filler neck; which appears to be an old oil fill tube from a straight 6 Chevrolet.

When I swapped the fuel injected engine, I had the auxiliary and main tank removed and had a new fuel tank built off the dimensions of the auxiliary tank for use with an in-tank pump. Unfortunately the fab shop used the same fuel filler neck off the Man A Fre tank. My issue is that this fill tube leaks out the cap, dumping gas on my exhaust. My current solution of only keeping the tank 1/4 full won't work for longer fishing trips this summer.

I'm looking for help to find a suitable replacement fuel filler neck and hose. Ideally this replacement would have a non-vented cap that matches my 3fe fuel injection system.

The inlet to the tank is 1.75" OD. Does anyone have a good creative idea for a fuel filler neck and new fuel filler hose for the truck?

IMG_2964.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG
IMG_2967.JPG
IMG_2966.JPG

This is a place I've bought from before. Their site says they're temporarily closed, so I hope they're back open next week. They're a good resource.

Another question: my tank does not have a vapor return hose. I found this fuel filler (spectra # FN795) for a early 2000’s Chevrolet 1500 that doesn’t appear to have a vapor return hose.

Are there other fuel fillers without a vapor return hose? If so, how does this filler deal without the hose?
17F06785-6720-4CB1-BEAE-D6987080CEFD.jpeg

I also bought from fillernecksupply.com.

I emailed them the parameters... i.e. In my case (I don’t recall the actual parameters)
- from tank filler to fuel filler = 16”
- from tank filler past frame = 8”
- from past frame to truck filler = 8”
- drop from truck filler to tank filler = 8”
- bend angles = both 45 degree
- filler neck = 1.75”OD
- tank filler = 1.75”OD

They sent me a parts list by return email... perfect!

Your gas cap looks awfully low... may kick fuel back while filling.

Your filler door looks low also... But pictures are difficult to discern.

I would make sure the filler neck you’re using has a breather port... and would create a like breather port at the top of the tank.

Any interest in an OEM neck? You should be able to modify it to suit your needs.

Filler Neck.jpg

I also bought from fillernecksupply.com.

I emailed them the parameters... i.e. In my case (I don’t recall the actual parameters)
- from tank filler to fuel filler = 16”
- from tank filler past frame = 8”
- from past frame to truck filler = 8”
- drop from truck filler to tank filler = 8”
- bend angles = both 45 degree
- filler neck = 1.75”OD
- tank filler = 1.75”OD

They sent me a parts list by return email... perfect!

Your gas cap looks awfully low... may kick fuel back while filling.

Your filler door looks low also... But pictures are difficult to discern.

I would make sure the filler neck you’re using has a breather port... and would create a like breather port at the top of the tank.

Good call on emailing them. I’ll shoot them an email this morning.

another thing I realized is the filler neck I posted has a vepor return hose INSIDE the filler neck. Thats perfect for my application. Hopefully filler neck supply can set me up with one that uses a 1.75” hose.

Any interest in an OEM neck? You should be able to modify it to suit your needs.

View attachment 2324018

Thanks for the offer. I actually already have two of those. I decided against it as I want a more modern fuel filler cap to match the newer fuel injected engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom