Help Me Evaluate this 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have found the perfect 80, or well, as close as it's going to get I think. I wanted to see if you guys could help me evaluate.

I have driven many FJ60's but this was my fist time in an 80. Right off the bat I could tell it needed a couple of things. I negotiated with the dealer and they said they would bring it up to date with the maintenance, and will have a Toyota dealership check it out this week.

Issues:
-truck pulls to the left, probably just an alignment, tire wear is even

-vibration in brakes at 60 mph, probably just warped rotors

-antena motor works but clicks at full top, and full bottom, what does this mean?

-steering is kind of heavy at stand still, no funny noises from steering pump, goes to full lock, maybe the truck is just heavy, what do you think? Is this normal?

-knuckles have caked on grease. This is the one that worries me. Reading through the FAQs there is a mention of possible damage to birfs when this is present due to contamination of grease. What are the chances of damage at 100k? truck was rock solid, no noises, no groans, nothing. Caked grease is not golf ball sized but more that than the normal seaping I would expect, again, don't have much experience with 80's so I don't know.

Also, if this dealer says they will service the axles (mom and pop used car dealer with it's own service center), is this a job that any competent mechanic can do, or is it something that I want a speacialized mechanic to take care of? I have all the tools and would be able to do this myself, however, for the price the dealer is asking, it would be nice to have this done already, but how would I know it was done right? I already heavily negotiated price, walked out, yelled, screamed, scratched, clawed, came back, they are at rock bottom.

I was thinking of sending them a parts list, and requesting reciepts and the old parts to make sure it was done to my satisfaction. I would also demand empty bottles of diff fluid and appropriate grease to ensure the correct ones were used. What do you think?

I am really excited to have found this rig, but I don't want to let my excitement blind me to something I might overlook.

TIA

I have found the perfect 80, or well, as close as it's going to get I think. I wanted to see if you guys could help me evaluate.

I have driven many FJ60's but this was my fist time in an 80. Right off the bat I could tell it needed a couple of things. I negotiated with the dealer and they said they would bring it up to date with the maintenance, and will have a Toyota dealership check it out this week.

Issues:
-truck pulls to the left, probably just an alignment, tire wear is even

-vibration in brakes at 60 mph, probably just warped rotors

-antenna motor works but clicks at full top, and full bottom, what does this mean?

-steering is kind of heavy at stand still, no funny noises from steering pump, goes to full lock, maybe the truck is just heavy, what do you think? Is this normal?

-knuckles have caked on grease. This is the one that worries me. Reading through the FAQs there is a mention of possible damage to birfs when this is present due to contamination of grease. What are the chances of damage at 100k? truck was rock solid, no noises, no groans, nothing. Caked grease is not golf ball sized but more that than the normal seaping I would expect, again, don't have much experience with 80's so I don't know.

Also, if this dealer says they will service the axles (mom and pop used car dealer with it's own service center), is this a job that any competent mechanic can do, or is it something that I want a speacialized mechanic to take care of? I have all the tools and would be able to do this myself, however, for the price the dealer is asking, it would be nice to have this done already, but how would I know it was done right? I already heavily negotiated price, walked out, yelled, screamed, scratched, clawed, came back, they are at rock bottom.

I was thinking of sending them a parts list, and requesting reciepts and the old parts to make sure it was done to my satisfaction. I would also demand empty bottles of diff fluid and appropriate grease to ensure the correct ones were used. What do you think?

I am really excited to have found this rig, but I don't want to let my excitement blind me to something I might overlook.

TIA

-antenna motor works but clicks at full top, and full bottom, what does this mean? Normal It means your extended all the way or down all the way. Let go of the button ;).

As far as the axle service. It sounds like they need rebuilt "caked" is the determining adjective. Instead of letting they "fix it" I would have a quote with parts and labor done at Toyota house and show it to them and use that as leverage for knocking the $1500 - $2000 off that Toyota is going to charge you. Then use that money, but the $300 in parts and a FSM and do it yourself!

Good luck!

A question: If boats are holes in the water what are LCs? :doh:

Take the dive :flipoff2: Welcome

You can do the rotors at the same time as the front axle job. Make sure Toyota parts are used. Read here about someone who used an aftermarket axle seal only to have to replace them often.

If your not hearing clicking from the birfs, I would doubt they are damaged at 100K

Here is the front end rebuild write-up from our FAQ.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=78276

It typyically costs $1200 from a dealer and add a few hundred on for rotors, or you could do it yourself and save $1000. Not hard, just time consuming and messy.

BTW, when you put in new rotors, use 100 series Pads in the front.

You didn't list price or other things about the condition. Does it have lockers?

Did you read the 80/LX450 series FAQ section on buying an 80?

You know you want it! It feels sooo much better to say "YES"...a few months back I traveled from Dallas, TX to Knoxville, TN & bought my 1st LC...a '97 LC CE w/only 81k orig. miles and drove it back. I paid $13k for mine and it is in exc. cond. I took a chance and I feel my 'gamble' paid off. If the price-is-right...dive-in! Also, since you've already found this website...you're 'contaminated' already & you're gonna end-up spending 'lots-o-dough' on the rig anyways. It's inevitable...so sit back and enjoy it! :)

THanks for all the replies, Romer, sent you an email.

I will let you guys know how it goes, hopefully I will be posting about my new rig soon:beer: :beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom