Help me diagnose an intermittent no spark condition. 81 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
81 60 series has spark sometimes. It is not always getting signal at the negative terminal of the coil.

Also, the wiring to the noise filter on the coil is burned off.

It has Sniper EFI so I can tell when it is getting spark signal. Also the tach doesn’t move when it isn’t getting spark. it is totally random

I suspect the igniter or the pickup coil in the distributor but there seems to be no certain way to diagnose the igniter so I am hoping someone has seen these symptoms before.

thanks for reading this.

Other non Toyota vehicle manuals state that the only way to definitively test a suspected igniter is to replace it with a known good one.
Your symptoms put the igniter as a suspect.

While the Toyota 2F igniter is no longer available, there are others from different manufacturers (GM?) that have worked well as a replacement. The information as to what it is is buried somewhere in the 60s forum

I saw the GM ignition module swap. I have an ignitor for a late eighties or early 90s 22re that may work, aside from wiring. I hate to guess

Swapped in a supposedly good igniter. No change. It has signal at the negative terminal of the coil sometimes. It seems worse when it’s cold. What next? The pickup coil? I can ohm it out but that is unreliable with such an intermittent condition.

Swapped in a supposedly good igniter. No change. It has signal at the negative terminal of the coil sometimes. It seems worse when it’s cold. What next? The pickup coil? I can ohm it out but that is unreliable with such an intermittent condition.

you need the professional services of @4Cruisers , he is the NipponDenso go to guy , and will let frustrations go to the side

John has 2F big cap igniters and coils and magnetic pickups , also vacuum advances

PM him

1601763707669.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom