help me decide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i finally found the time to build my self a rock crawler/all around 4x4 vehicle
im torn between 2 rigs to start off with. either a FJ45 LWB troop carrier or an 80 series LC.
which one do you guys think would be a better base vehicle to start my project on?

depends. do you want a rough n tumble utilitarian? or do you want a nice posh comfy power windowed air conditioned trail limo?

2 opposite ends of the spectrum those two vehicles are...difficult to pick without any more specifics.

my daily driver is a '07 Tundra CrewMax so this LC would be strictly as a toy or camping purposes.

at first, my original plan was to get a FJ40 then make that as my toy. recently mywife and i found out that we're pregnant so all of a sudden im thinking is FJ40 roomy enough for my family. this made me think of the FJ45 i saw built by Icon. roomy enough for family but capable wheeler. then a buddy of my suggested why not get a HDJ81. very capable cruiser and has comfort at thesame time. obviously the 80 series LC cost more than a FJ45 as a vehicle. now my question is, for my situation is it really worth investing that bit extra for a 80 series even though its pretty much just a toy/camping/maybe daily witer vehicle just to get that comfort for my family? never been in one so not sure how much more "comfortable" this thing is. been in alot of FJ40s and all i can say is that they are purposly built vehicles.

Interesting predicament. You're talking about two totally different vehicles, of course. First, it's not particularly easy to find an FJ45, especially one that doesn't need a lot of work and isn't rusted out. That right there makes me think that your point on the expense of an 80 series vs an FJ45 isn't apples to apples at all, and I would think that an HDJ81 would end up being cheaper in the long run, unless somebody is giving away an FJ45 that's been restored for song, which isn't likely (although if you know someone who is, I'm jealous).

The next thought I have is the safety concern. I would not put an infant in a vehicle that has leaf springs, is noisy, and does not have modern safety features such as ABS, and is overall not a "luxury trail limo" as d0bledown suggested. Considering you have a kid on the way, I would also lean towards the HDJ81 for dependability reasons as well. This is not to say that an FJ45 is not dependable, but a newer vehicle should be more reliable IMHO, especially if it's been well maintained. My .02. Good luck.

Get the 80, it is a very capable cruiser and your family will enjoy it more as well.

Last edited:
If you want old school, you cant beat 40 series look. But, they were designed in the 1960's and you will know it on the hiway and trail. The 80 is a better truck overall and still a cruiser. 80's are hard to find with low miles, they are nice drivers and people put a sh*t load of miles on them.

Interesting predicament. You're talking about two totally different vehicles, of course. First, it's not particularly easy to find an FJ45, especially one that doesn't need a lot of work and isn't rusted out. That right there makes me think that your point on the expense of an 80 series vs an FJ45 isn't apples to apples at all, and I would think that an HDJ81 would end up being cheaper in the long run, unless somebody is giving away an FJ45 that's been restored for song, which isn't likely (although if you know someone who is, I'm jealous).

The next thought I have is the safety concern. I would not put an infant in a vehicle that has leaf springs, is noisy, and does not have modern safety features such as ABS, and is overall not a "luxury trail limo" as d0bledown suggested. Considering you have a kid on the way, I would also lean towards the HDJ81 for dependability reasons as well. This is not to say that an FJ45 is not dependable, but a newer vehicle should be more reliable IMHO, especially if it's been well maintained. My .02. Good luck.

the reason why i had FJ45 as an option is because my cousins buddy is thinking of selling his project FJ45 LWB orginally a pick up truck but converted to a long tub from Aqualu. it has SOA swap on it with stock i6 motor. no roof no roll cage has doors but beside that its a running FJ45. all that for 12gs which is about thesame price as a HDJ81 here.

I'd go with the 80. They're cheap now. Find one with lockers and after purchase it will need only minor mods to be at the extreme upper range of trail worthy. Yet you can safely and comfortably drive to trails or on other adventures with your family and more gear than the 45 has room for. I agree that the 80 in the end will be less expensive and more safe to operate. I would not go for the right hand drive diesel, due to safety concerns - I'd get a gasser.

DougM

I'd go with the 80. They're cheap now. Find one with lockers and after purchase it will need only minor mods to be at the extreme upper range of trail worthy. Yet you can safely and comfortably drive to trails or on other adventures with your family and more gear than the 45 has room for. I agree that the 80 in the end will be less expensive and more safe to operate. I would not go for the right hand drive diesel, due to safety concerns - I'd get a gasser.

DougM

safety concernbecause its a diesel or because its a RHD?
if its because its RHD, dont HDJ80 come in LHD?
i guess the problem would be looking for a HDJ80 here in Canada:bang:

The Troopie is rare. It would not be right to strongly modify one. To race it and risk damage would be wrong. The 80 is realitively common, and underappreciated. It also has a longer wheelbase and is more stable than any 40-style except for the Troopie. The 80 has a coil spring system, so would not require any suspension conversion to race or run hard. It does have a rather heavy body. But a 40 body has been placed on an 80 chassis, and can be again. It's not that hard! I vote for the 80 chassis. It's a better chassis.
The Troopie is a very rare collector's item. Do you have any idea what a Troopie is worth? They are nearly priceless! The last one that I saw sold for well over 30 grand!. Yes, that means well over $30.000 dollars. It was factory stock, clean, not restored, with high mileage. More than 30K! Don't screw with it. Just love your Troopie, and don't mess with it!!

Last edited:
if its because its RHD, dont HDJ80 come in LHD?
i guess the problem would be looking for a HDJ80 here in Canada:bang:

Yes, but not from Japan where most of the "JDM" : cruisers are coming from. :hillbilly:

There's a guy on the forum that's selling a newer 70 series troopy, diesel, LHD for like $14k.

And Bull's old troopy which was very clean sold for around $15 (diesel) and Hltpper's dual fuel (gas/propane) nice troopy sold for around $17-ish, US.

Good luck!

The Troopie is rare. It would not be right to strongly modify one. To race it and risk damage would be wrong. The 80 is realitively common, and underappreciated. It also has a longer wheelbase and is more stable than any 40-style except for the Troopie. The 80 has a coil spring system, so would not require any suspension conversion to race or run hard. It does have a rather heavy body. But a 40 body has been placed on an 80 chassis, and can be again. It's not that hard! I vote for the 80 chassis. It's a better chassis.
The Troopie is a very rare collector's item. Do you have any idea what a Troopie is worth? They are nearly priceless! The last one that I saw sold for well over 30 grand!. Yes, that means well over $30.000 dollars. It was factory stock, clean, not restored, with high mileage. More than 30K! Don't screw with it. Just love your Troopie, and don't mess with it!!

well the troopie wasnt originally a troppie but a LWB pickup truck that was converted. still unique in its own right i guess

well i guess time to shop for some HDJ81 it is then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom