Help me choose a second rig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bradyadventures.com
My wife currently drives an MDX and runs it ragged commuting to school. She is going to finish up in the next year or so and I have convinced her that we should get something that can run offroad with the land cruiser. I would be fine adding a second 100 but she says it's too big. However she also says a 200 looks great.

From a 100 series owner point of view, if you had, let's say, 20K or a little more to throw at a second rig what would you get. Here are my current thoughts in priority order.

1. GX470 plus add a bunch of mods
2. 4th Gen 4runner plus add a bunch of mods
3. 5th gen 4runner with very few mods (no left over cash but a vision for the future)
4. 200 series with no mods (no left over cash but a vision for the future)
5. Say screw it, buy her a 100 when she isn't looking and hope for the best :nailbiting:

I know the 5th gen and 200 are both a stretch right now price wise but they are getting closer all the time.

Thanks

If she thinks a 100 is too big, that pretty much kills all the other options except the GX, of which I’m not a huge fan. It’s probably the best choice for the wife (my 100 was bought from a guy who replaced it with a GX for his wife).

I love the logic of women... “No, I don’t want a 100. It’s too big. Ohhhh... Look, a shiny new 200... I’d love to have that!!” WTF?

I’ve got mine convinced that if not a 100, then a triple locked G-Wagen is a possibility. She also likes a Q5, but gets it that you sure don’t want an Audi or Porsche or VW unless you’ve got full warranty.

Hundy period

We have a 5th gen 4runner as well which is the wife's. It's not that much smaller than the 100. I think she just wants something newer (as do they all) since she likes the 200.

If she thinks a 100 is too big, that pretty much kills all the other options except the GX, of which I’m not a huge fan. It’s probably the best choice for the wife (my 100 was bought from a guy who replaced it with a GX for his wife).

I love the logic of women... “No, I don’t want a 100. It’s too big. Ohhhh... Look, a shiny new 200... I’d love to have that!!” WTF?

I’ve got mine convinced that if not a 100, then a triple locked G-Wagen is a possibility. She also likes a Q5, but gets it that you sure don’t want an Audi or Porsche or VW unless you’ve got full warranty.
Exactly! The logic is nuts! :)

We have a 5th gen 4runner as well which is the wife's. It's not that much smaller than the 100. I think she just wants something newer (as do they all) since she likes the 200.
You guys are great at root cause analysis.

So happiest wife equals newest ride.

gx 470 - 3 rows they are tight but V8 power and tons of available mods. good resource here but they have a facebook group that is very active and helpful. nice little truck. on the flip side my wife is waiting to see what the new bronco looks like - i know flame on but I have 3 cruisers already so alittle change cannot hurt.

Tailgate function for me is a key to the 100. I use mine like a truck, with the rear seats out, you can haul plywood, long boards and leave the top hatch open, or sit on the bottom gate to watch the kids at soccer practice. The GX470 has the side opening door which is good for some people just not my cup of tea.

Tailgate function for me is a key to the 100. I use mine like a truck, with the rear seats out, you can haul plywood, long boards and leave the top hatch open, or sit on the bottom gate to watch the kids at soccer practice. The GX470 has the side opening door which is good for some people just not my cup of tea.
Yeah I hate that damn door too. If it had a tailgate I would be all over it.

I think she is politely saying that she doesn’t like the 100. To be honest I think I have only had a compliment from a farmer, I get more compliments on the tires than the truck itself. Newer is better to some and you won’t change their mind.

Last edited:

Id vote for a 4th gen 4runner. Its a solid capable rig. Its quiet and comfortable, not a ton of space in the back but enough. You can get a very nice 06-09 V8 Limited for around 9-13k if you look hard enough

Id vote for a 4th gen 4runner. Its a solid capable rig. Its quiet and comfortable, not a ton of space in the back but enough. You can get a very nice 06-09 V8 Limited for around 9-13k if you look hard enough
Yep the wife drove one of those and loved it and the prices are very good on them, i think cuz they're getting old and everyone wants a 5th gen now days

My wife drives the 200 and I have a 100 I use on the weekends. She’s loves the 200 but prefers the size of the 100. The camera set up on the 200 still allows her to maneuver parking lots and parallel situations no problem despite the larger size. She’s struggled parking anything without incident since she sold her vw cabriolet 20 years ago.
That said, I think for low $20’s it’s gonna be hard to come by a 200. At least in my market.
Can’t go wrong either way! Best of luck.

I forgot to mention, she had a 4th gen 4Runner before the 200. She was never getting back in the 4Runner after she drove the 200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom