Help me choose a color for my 80 (1 Viewer)

Do you think this chalk color will look good on my dechromed 80?

• yes

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • no

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • other pastel gray with paint code if possible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work! How much was the PPG D880?

I do my own paint and body work so just for reference the current prices in the USA for a 2K urethane (coating + hardener/catalyst) are in this range:

Epoxy primer $120 - $300/gal. Epoxy is a 2-part primer that goes directly onto bare metal, or properly prepped older paint. It takes an hour to cure before the next layer may be applied. Time to sand is generally overnight. Epoxy also does a good job of sealing tiny spots of rust that you might not even see. Autobody Master has an epoxy primer kit with two one gallon cans for ~$120.

Urethane primer and activator $100 -$300/gal goes over the epoxy primer to fill in small defects and scratches. It always gets block sanded before the color coat.

Urethane base coat $100-$500/gal depending on color and brand. This is the color coat that goes on after the primer but before the clearcoat.

Clearcoat and activator $100-$500/gal. depending on brand.

Depending on your budget and spraying skills you can get some great results for <$500 for just the liquid coatings. The other part of your budget is sand paper and pads, masking tapes, body and spot fillers, rust treatment, cleaning solvents, etc. etc. that might be another $100 and up depending on how much you need.

I've also seen and done some low budget work using enamels (Rustoleum, Valspar etc) or single stage (color and clear) urethane intended for farm and industry that actually look pretty good if you know how to spray well, do the proper prep (sanding, cleaning etc) and have a dust free area to work in.
it was ppg primer (not epoxy) not sure what the product was, plus base coat and the clear coat, 3 kilos each cost me total about 350-400 for product, i can get back to up with exact product codes later today for prices per kilo.

That looks great! Great choice, something a bit different but not crazy, and it's a color which will do well in the sun and heat. Well done.

if i told you you will hate me, due to the devaluation of the Lebanese pound, labor was super cheap ($400) for paint and body, paint supplies was about $350
When I was in Tajikistan it was the same. Supplies cost more than labor. Had them do everything. Now I'm back in the States, I do everything so I don't get raped in labor charges.

When I was in Tajikistan it was the same. Supplies cost more than labor. Had them do everything. Now I'm back in the States, I do everything so I don't get raped in labor charges.
wish i had the time or know how to do it myself (my painting skills are nonexistent)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom