Help - Main Bearings... Right ones? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok Guys... need some help. I am doing my first engine re-build and had the machine shop order all the parts for me after doing the machine work. I am getting ready to install the crankshaft and am looking at the Main bearings and wondering if I have the wrong ones.

The ones I have each have little tabs on the end however there is no grove in the block. I would think that this would make them sit at an angle. Am I missing something? Do I have the wrong ones?

Thanks for the help!
P1020613.jpg

I did my 74 f1.5 a few weeks ago and if I remember right the main bearings are different on the same engine. For example there is a thrust bearing( i think the third journal) that will only fit one journal and One of the bearings is wider than the rest. So in a way they are kind of idiot proof. Yea that bearing does not go on that journal, there would be a notch in the block to match. Sort through all the new bearings and see if you can get all of them to fit like a puzzle.

Last edited:
Each of the bearings have a tab...both top and bottom. Starting to geuss that the ones the shop ordered for me are for a 2F. From the pics I can see in the 2F manual they have tabs.

yes,no maybe so?

I when through the same thing on my bearings. crank was turn 10 when to order bearings and none to be found. my machines said he could use bearings for a 2f. what he did was to remove the dowels from the block and cut the tabs in that hold the bearing in place. Had to grind the crank a little wider for 2f thrust bearing to set clearance. worked great have had no trouble with the motor. And now i can get bearings if i ever need them. So don't give up .:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom