HELP LX570 Won't Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

look at your battery voltage on the dash. it's very low. Do you own a multimeter?
get a proper booster (noco) or charge the crap out of it.

Last edited:
Did you replace it by yourself? I’m on 160K miles on original starter, I’m a mechanic with a lift but I’m dreading the day I have to do this job.
Nah, way out of my league. Had it towed to the dealer and just wrote a big check.

Edit to add: thinking a bit more, my experience could have been the alternator. It was ~5 years ago, I'm not sure

Last edited:
Tried jumping it a couple more times. Had the tow truck come this morning, and he still wasn't able to get it to start with his jumper.

Its at the dealer now and they think its the starter. Part is being ordered but probably won't have it ready until next week.

I got the vehicle back from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the starter and now it cranks again.

I'm definitely in the mileage/age window for the starter to go bad, but the crazy thing is it never gave me a sign before now that it was going out. I'm just glad it happened in my driveway and not while i was out, or worse, driving across the country. Its a bummer that its such a pain to replace. Otherwise it really should be on the preventative maintenance list given the possibility you could be stranded by it.

I'm definitely in the mileage/age window for the starter to go bad, but the crazy thing is it never gave me a sign before now that it was going out.

That's how they fail on these trucks, generally. I replaced mine preemptively at about 128k after reading stories just like yours. I frequently travel into some pretty remote areas and would hate to be left stranded. There's a way to jump it in the field with a long screw driver but it's a common failure point so a lot of people choose not to risk it.

Anyhow - glad your truck is back on the road.

Definitely glad to have it working again! After this experience, I would certainly have replaced it preemptively.

@32cls6speedmt The total ran me a painful ~$1200... Looks like I was billed for 3.5 hours.

Thats not that bad for that job and new starter at all.

This thread has me spooked a bit. I'm at 156k on original starter. Anyone here on their original starter past 160k miles?

Mileage will vary depending on some factors like

City miles or highway miles (city miles has a lot more duty cycles)

Cold climate or hot climate

Snow/salt exposure

Water crossing/mudding etc

I’m at 164K now on original starter, I looked at carfax and previous owner drove 60k miles in 2 years so I’m willing to bet this was a highway commuter vehicle

2008 LX570 - 168,000 miles on original starter

Granted, I bought a new one during the 25% off sale last year. Putting off doing it until the current one fails or I take a long trip out west.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom