help - loud fan clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an FJ60 2F in my FJ40, which uses a fan clutch. I'm running my stock radiator and modified an FJ60 shroud to fit the 40 radiator. When the fan clutch turns on it is really, really loud, especially running around 3000 rpms at 65 mph. I've put in 2 brand new Aisin fan clutches in, so I don't think that's the problem. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

IMG_3292.JPG

IMG_3290.JPG

Not sure how to describe it. Sounds like lots of rushing wind. Guess I can make a recording bc it’s louder than the road noise generated by an old fj40! Crazy!

The fan's are supposed to make noise that's how you can tell they are working.

Maybe it's that ribbed fan that is loud, have never seen one like that.

Could be the design of the cowl where it sits against the radiator. Just a guess.
The cowl's don't usually rest agains't the radiator fins

A cowl off a 70 series might fit better.

Last edited:
Replacing the fan is next if no one has a better idea of what’s going on. Thanks for the help!
Cheers,
Mike

So the finned fan blade is the stock blade (AISIN FNT022). So, the only thing I can think of is the wide shroud from an FJ60 is somehow vibrating at the center since it is bolted to the radiator frame on both sides at several places vertically. Guess I'll try and find some way of temporarily securing the middle of the shroud and see if that helps. Labor Day work.

My fan on my 70 series is finned lie that. The noise could be air gushing past where the cowl doesn't seal agains't the radiator. A 70 series cowl would probably fit better.

I've got an FJ60 2F in my FJ40, which uses a fan clutch. I'm running my stock radiator and modified an FJ60 shroud to fit the 40 radiator. When the fan clutch turns on it is really, really loud, especially running around 3000 rpms at 65 mph. I've put in 2 brand new Aisin fan clutches in, so I don't think that's the problem. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

View attachment 2776710

View attachment 2776711

You don’t have a problem at all to be clear

it’s normal to have it wind up full blower sound

Toyota calls a fan clutch a Viscus Coupling

it’s filled with heat sensitive oil

the oil heats up and gets less Viscuss in about 2-3 minutes on a summer day

then it can free form
And slow down a bit

I assume the blower affect goes away after warm
Up right ?

your modified fj60 fan shroud is the cause of any abnormal function. Above anything I have described above other then a faulty new part

I have Never seen a bad new ASIAN part before so that’s unlikely

I can definitely tell when the fan clutch engages. Little noise when engine is warm and it is not engaged, engages and very loud, cools, releases and goes back to not being very loud. And repeat.

I can definitely tell when the fan clutch engages. Little noise when engine is warm and it is not engaged, engages and very loud, cools, releases and goes back to not being very loud. And repeat.

i studied all your photos just now on my desk top big Screen monitor verse my cell phone earlier .....

i will take a bit of a leap and low WAG :

- i have your issue Diagnosed and Remedy Solved mapped out too 🤔

- - start by simply Loosing the Fj60 fan shroud MOD , its is the cause

- the GAP or free space above the shroud on each side but below the top tank is drawing SUPER FAST air back in causing a Venturi effect

- the huge gap on the passenger side is ALSO a huge contributor here

- your drawing MORE unrestricted air in these 3 free space areas then across the rad fins and core itself ..............BAD

- i bet with the Rigged shroud gone , your issues subside or all together disappear ?

- cant see the lower RAD shroud portions details , but some MODS are BAD and some are good using alternative YEAR / MODEL land cruiser parts

- THIS ONE IS BAD

- also , Curious ?

- is this a FJ60 Fan or a FJ40 one , i dont know if that would make a difference , but the FINS on the back side of the FAN itself i DO NOT Reconize ?

my WAG and careful diagnosis place i would start if my day one new to me fj40

@3_puppies , what say the ORICAL ..........

Last edited:
Matt, thank you so much for taking the time and producing a possible diagnosis. Here are more pics. The passenger side doesn’t have a gap, but there is one on top and small gaps at the bottom and driver’s side.

2446C916-C3DD-4EA8-BC5E-137CA0EA50AF.jpeg

FA7D551E-5236-42C4-BADD-99755A47E5B9.jpeg

62907BEE-F500-47FD-AAC9-AE2D50250F0B.jpeg

8275B311-0E3C-461D-8F26-67F4089EF1F7.jpeg

4785E75F-FB04-4F2F-A3BE-67B6F2E224A9.jpeg

thats a 60 fan. Maybe you should take a video of what you’re hearing.

Okay guys, I've got some data on what is going on with the noise. Matt was correct, I believe. I put some weatherstripping from Lowes between the shroud and the top side of the radiator (pic below). I drove the 40 into town and the biggest immediate difference was that the temp never got above 180, whereas yesterday it got up around 210. And when the fan clutch engages, it is not nearly as loud. In the video, the fan clutch is engaged when going around 60 mph and at around 30 sec you'll hear it disengage. You can hear the difference, but that is nothing compared to what it was between engaged and disengaged. So, the lesson is: if there are gaps between the shroud and the radiator (and mine were only about 3/8" wide), then the fan will be ineffective and loud. I guess I still have gaps to fill with something, but the 40 is cooling much better and quieter.

IMG_3301.JPG

IMG_3302.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom