Help locating noise that goes away with moonroof tilted open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '99 LX 470. Occasionally while driving I will hear a buzzing/vibration-like noise. No vibration is felt, just heard loudly throughout the interior and it is very difficult to locate. My son said he though it was coming from above so I tilted open the moonroof to see if I could hear it better from the outside and it stopped. Several occurrences later, it stops each time the moonroof is tilted open. I usually keep the interior shade cover closed but happened to have it open one day when the noise occurred. It was much louder and evident it was coming from above. I've examined pretty much everything around the moonroof and everything appears to be in good shape. Nothing loose, no leaks, etc. The assumption would be if the moonroof is adjusted and it goes away, that it might be the moonroof itself but I'm curious to know if I'm just adjusting airflow when this occurs and it might not be the moonroof. Nothing else seems to be out of order on the roof, etc.

I'm curious to know has anyone else experienced something similar and if so did you find a cause/cure? Thank you!

I have a '99 LX 470. Occasionally while driving I will hear a buzzing/vibration-like noise. No vibration is felt, just heard loudly throughout the interior and it is very difficult to locate. My son said he though it was coming from above so I tilted open the moonroof to see if I could hear it better from the outside and it stopped. Several occurrences later, it stops each time the moonroof is tilted open. I usually keep the interior shade cover closed but happened to have it open one day when the noise occurred. It was much louder and evident it was coming from above. I've examined pretty much everything around the moonroof and everything appears to be in good shape. Nothing loose, no leaks, etc. The assumption would be if the moonroof is adjusted and it goes away, that it might be the moonroof itself but I'm curious to know if I'm just adjusting airflow when this occurs and it might not be the moonroof. Nothing else seems to be out of order on the roof, etc.

I'm curious to know has anyone else experienced something similar and if so did you find a cause/cure? Thank you!
Does it sound a bit like a vibration? Mine had a sound coming from the sunroof that turned out to be the plastic trim around the glass. With the shade open and sunroof closed, try holding your hand against the plastic trim and see if the noise disappears. I think the trim has four pieces, one covering each side of the sunroof. I ended up shattering the offending trim piece on mine trying to remove it. There must be a more elegant solution than just pulling until the piece breaks off, but the good news is the vibration is gone and most people would never notice I'm missing a trim piece. It's a very common problem as I've had the exact same vibration problem from a sunroof trim on a different 100 series (that one it was a different of the 4 pieces vibrating) as well as an 80 series and a Prado.

Mine makes a vibration noise as well from the plastic trim around the sunroof. Different positions make different noises but with the shade closed I don't hear them so haven't messed with it since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom