Help Leo get Dora on the road - Saturday March 10th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello crew,

Just sending a beacon out to anyone who wants to come help get the fzj80 going again.

Tyler is helping me get the rad sorted out on the FZJ80 it's always nice to have an extra hand to help, since I'm worth like half a hand anyway, when I'm not walking around hitting my head against the driveshaft (this is not a pun, this is something that actually happened :rimshot:)

We need to:
Replace the Rad
Replace a Few hoses
Addressing the slight rear axle leak that started happened after the locker install by replacing the gaskets on the rear axle.

We'll be working on this Saturday March 10th at T's place. Beer and food on me. Let me know!

Thought I should update:

New Rad installed, thanks T and C - you guys are lovely (and patient!!). It's not that i'm slow, it's that I'm methodical ;).
Changed a return hose that was a little old. Little by little all of those rad hoses are being updated (I think the old ones that are left are the PHH, and the rear heater lines that will need to be addressed some day).

We determined that the most likely culprit of the rad failure was in fact a foreign object that slashed it, and while I didn't buy it at first, I think it may have been that sharp piece of plastic that Jason found that he then gave to me.

Temperatures are in the high 170s when operating went up to 185, based on the OBD2 torque app, still no heat. I did notice some residue in the coolant overflow tank. I'm thinking I may have a stuck T-Stat, since FHH is scalding, and top heater hose is warm (will check bottom heater hose next time I'm looking at that, I thought about sticking my hand in there but the snow was cold, the mood the was low and the engine was running... so I'll check it this afternoon). The T-stat (and T-Stat gasket) were replaced last year when I did the rad; but maybe that's our culprit.

Slowly but surely!
Is your plan to ditch the rear heater hoses entirely or just replace?
I cut mine all out last year and haven't noticed much of a difference at all, really easy to do. Plus, it gives a bunch of room under the PS front seat!

Slowly but surely!
Is your plan to ditch the rear heater hoses entirely or just replace?
I cut mine all out last year and haven't noticed much of a difference at all, really easy to do. Plus, it gives a bunch of room under the PS front seat!

I'm thinking I will bypass the hard lines with soft hose- which I have. I like to have the extra heat, I'm tropical like that.

just to tell a story, I had an ex that used to complain because I'd pull up to her house, with the heat on full blast of my vr6 (which heats a whole lot) both seat warmers on, I'm wearing a parka, a hat and gloves, and it's zero out. I was sweating but I was comfortable.

I'm thinking I will bypass the hard lines with soft hose- which I have. I like to have the extra heat, I'm tropical like that.

just to tell a story, I had an ex that used to complain because I'd pull up to her house, with the heat on full blast of my vr6 (which heats a whole lot) both seat warmers on, I'm wearing a parka, a hat and gloves, and it's zero out. I was sweating but I was comfortable.

My wife went to Venezeula for 6 months. There, she was warm, but shes felt cold ever since coming back!

haha, sooo you're saying your just like my wife.
I just saw it as an overly complicated system with too many failure points.

haha, sooo you're saying your just like my wife.
I just saw it as an overly complicated system with too many failure points.

Nope. I'm saying I am probably a lot more sensitive than your wife. ;)

You're right about the failure points. I was w.a. a shop owner I know that does a lot of 80s, and 90s 4x4 work and restorations in south florida this week about that... He says if he can, he eliminates that whole heating system entirely off of an older toyota; he was mentioning the heater core tends to corrode in time and can affect the engine cooling. I liked the rear heater system because it really helped reduce fogging in the rear windows in the winter. That's honestly my biggest pull, the heat is secondary believe it or not.

If your concerned about corrosion build up. Flush the cooling system a few times with water to get all the old coolant out. Then dump in a big jug of white vinegar (4 liters) and fill with water. Run it a few times up to temp, let it sit overnight, run to temp again then flush the whole system again a few times with water. Refill with coolant and enjoy the heat.

I had an old lady with a Ford Taurus come in to the shop with a no heat issue, flushed her sludge coolant out, did the vinegar trick and it was blowing hot like new again. I was skeptical it would work but had nothing to lose and was blown away by the results.

If your concerned about corrosion build up. Flush the cooling system a few times with water to get all the old coolant out. Then dump in a big jug of white vinegar (4 liters) and fill with water. Run it a few times up to temp, let it sit overnight, run to temp again then flush the whole system again a few times with water. Refill with coolant and enjoy the heat.

I had an old lady with a Ford Taurus come in to the shop with a no heat issue, flushed her sludge coolant out, did the vinegar trick and it was blowing hot like new again. I was skeptical it would work but had nothing to lose and was blown away by the results.

^ is this a post reply into my other question on the clr cleanup on the heater core?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom