help: LC100 electrical? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thecoldfish.com
it rained last night and when I went out to my rig (2005 stock LC100), it had no juice. Battery dead. When I turned the ignition to 'on', a relay in the fuse box under the hood would start to buzz. See linked video.

Any thoughts on what's going on?

Thanks for any advice on troubleshooting and fixing.

Jason

Strange thing, too: while charging the battery (and I admit that I haven't done this often enough to have much confidence in my ability to drive my battery charger), it sounded like a relay in the horn was switching with a steady rhythm that increased in frequency if I changed the charger's current. When I tried one setting, the Horm even honked at me.

Documenting the saga here.

Feel free to chime in if you have any insight.

Get a wire brush and brush the terminals, do the posts, and the brass bar that connects to the fuse block. Make sure the chassis ground is to bare metal. Tighten the post terminals until you think they are really tight, then tighten then some more.

I experienced similar issues and I believe the problems were caused by the BCM getting wet. It has been a couple years, but I believe my research told me that the BCM was under the dash. Mine had a small rust spot above the windshield which I think was allowing rain to leak past the gasket and run down the inside of the windshield into the dash. I put some silicone around the area and it stopped happening. Last winter we went camping in Moab and forgot to crack a window because it was cold. The condensation on the inside of the windshield made it repeat the condition. The fuse blocks are also problematic, I haven't been through that yet, so I don't know the symptoms.

I experienced similar issues and I believe the problems were caused by the BCM getting wet. It has been a couple years, but I believe my research told me that the BCM was under the dash. Mine had a small rust spot above the windshield which I think was allowing rain to leak past the gasket and run down the inside of the windshield into the dash. I put some silicone around the area and it stopped happening. Last winter we went camping in Moab and forgot to crack a window because it was cold. The condensation on the inside of the windshield made it repeat the condition. The fuse blocks are also problematic, I haven't been through that yet, so I don't know the symptoms.
Thanks, this is helpful. I'll take a look for the BCM under the dash. (I recently got this $30 orthoscopic camera that should help.). I had a loose gasket on the lower driver side of the front window last year before I experienced these problems. Maybe I'll hit that area with some silicone, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom