Help keep my 1995 fender flairs on! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I was getting my 1995 painted and decided to remove the fender flares myself. Obviously, I didn’t do it correctly because during the removal I broke the plastic pieces that slide onto the clip! A local body shop thought using double-sided tape may keep them on? Lasted about two days and now they are starting to come off.

What’s the fix? I don’t care if they ever come off again! LOL HELP! Thanks in advance.

9CEF9A10-1F72-4F51-8848-15AD76F6B0C4.jpeg

I've ripped my flairs off wheeling a bunch of times. You really need to reattach the plastic mounting slots inside the flair to mount them up again. The most success I've had is using a two part epoxy reinforced with fiberglass during the mix. However, even after gluing the flairs back together, they never truely fit right to the body.
If you just had the truck painted and are concerned with its appearance the best choice would be to replace the flairs with an unbroken set.

This is the ONLY epoxy to use for this, don't be fooled by "aluminum" in the kit name :)

I ripped one off 4 years ago, I was lucky enough that the little tabs on the flares were still there. I just used this again on the rear quarter window vent too.

Prep plastic with denatured alcohol, and or regular rubbing alcohol. must be clean. You can also scuff surface with some 80grit too.
Mix it up with enough of the 406 filler (in that kit) to form a no sag plaste. Then use a small popsicle stick to apply. Use rounded tip to make fillets between the edge of the tab and flare. I think I "blue painters taped" mine in place or used a weight to clamp it while it cured. It's been stronger than the clips :)
The have videos and really good instructions in the kit.

It will aslo bond the weather seal back onto the flare if you need it too....

I've ripped my flairs off wheeling a bunch of times. You really need to reattach the plastic mounting slots inside the flair to mount them up again. The most success I've had is using a two part epoxy reinforced with fiberglass during the mix. However, even after gluing the flairs back together, they never truely fit right to the body.
If you just had the truck painted and are concerned with its appearance the best choice would be to replace the flairs with an unbroken set.
Thanks for the advice. I have had a time trying to find replacements for this Cruiser. I purchased a set of aftermarket and they won hundred percent do not lineup correctly. Any suggestions?

Ahhh, missed a step above...to align!!!! Take a measurement off the hole centers on the fender. measure the relationship of each one, make a diagram so you can map it out. then before you "clamp" it up cures rub vasoline (this will prevent the clips from bonding to the flare) on the tabs and insert them in the clips. now measure center to center on the clip tips and move around to tweak (it's like measuring corner to corner to make sure you box is square). you should get close if you have good measurements (mm precision is key). I used this method on the rear quarter vents, and on some boat parts in the past. I didn't use when I redid the flares, and it was a pain....I had to reposition one after the fact by grinding it out and starting over. (I think that was a suppressed memory.)

Honestly, it is easy but a bit fussy, and totally worth it.

Reactions: KTP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom