help keep her out of the shop.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

I'd hate to take my 60 to the shop to fix the overheating problem. Hopefully someone could help me figure out if the problem is the system needing to be bled after a hose came loose, or if the fan clutch is bad. how can i tell which one? thanks in advance..

Doubtful it's the system needing to be bled...there are so many places to go with overheating!
1. Are you running water/antifreeze 50/50
2. Have you changed the thermostat? Is the heater getting hot?
3. If you have alot of miles, chances are it's more likely your radiator plugged than the fan clutch.
4. When the vehicle is fully warmed up, you should feel considerable resistance to turning the fan by hand. If it freewheels, you def need a clutch. Only go Toyota on this part...spendy, but everything else is junk.
5. Do you believe the guage?
6. Is there a milky substance under your oil filler cap? If so, you may have blown the head gasket. Check for white smoke and antifreeze smell at the exhaust.
7. Check radiator hoses, replace if soft, they can collapse, stalling flow.
8. Water pump leaking?
And on, and on....all this stuff is relatively easy, even pulling the radiator is basically a one banana job.

Thanks for the help. Ill give those a try...

Does it overheat when driving around town, or on the freeway?
General rule is if it overheats on the freeway it's because insufficient coolant is flowing through the rad. This means the rad is clogged or the thermostat is bad.
If it's overheating in town, it's because of the fan clutch or the thermostat.

All of this assumes you have enough coolant in the system, no air in the system, and that the hoses are in good shape.

Re Air in system - do a search on "burping" your cooling system.

Parts of the cooling system include:
Rad
-can get clogged
-sometimes a good flush can fix this, but replacing the rad isn't too hard

Fan Clutch
-can go bad, and then won't spin up fast enough.
-do a search to find out how to test.
-if it has failed, it's not too hard to replace.

Waterpump
- if failing it dribbles for a few weeks, then gives out completely.
-if it's not leaking, then it's fine.

Thermostat
- these all fail over time. It's a wear and replace item.
-sometimes people forget to replace the top rubber seal.

Hoses
-Texx covered these well, they too are a wear and replace item.

There are extensive posts on cooling system problems. Read up and learn.

Re any repair shop - they are required to give you a written estimate before doing any work. You can take it into them and get an estimate as to what's wrong and the cost to fix. Post up with what they tell you, and we can offer some advice. Depending on your situation, sometimes it's best to pay somebody to do the work.

get a pressure tester from auto zone and see if your system holds pressure...might just have a small leak somewhere that can be easily fixed...

Finally saturday and i get a chance to wrench on the truck. I found out that the po took out the thermostat and i have been driving about 10k without one. The temp sensor always stayed about 1/4 of the way up and constant. Do i really need a thermostat? Ill post after i get a chance to burp the system.

thermostat needed but not the problem

The lack of a thermostat will not cause it to overheat. As you said, it was running too cool. Once you get it all straightened out, you will want to put a thermostat in. Be sure to use BOTH gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom