Help justifying a 100 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are expecting a third child, and I will start commuting 20 miles(40 miles roundtrip) this summer. My wife thinks she would like something bigger than our volvo wagon. So it seems logical to buy her a 100 series and I will use the Volvo to commute. My budget will get us a 2000-2002 LC(vice the 5-speed model). BUT, I am getting extreme SUV guilt all of a sudden now that it will be a dd, and thinking about minivans etc... I love Land Cruisers. Please help me on this one, what is the problem?? Thanks!

the only guilt you should feel is about mpg.
and that can be easily done away with by telling yourself that you deserve the luxury plus that a lot of that low mpg is from having a supersafe truck to drive where your family will likely be less at risk in daily traffic than with just about any other vehicle (including smaller Volvos)... :)

have 3 kids also needed something bigger and

My LX470 is the best vehicle I could ever own. I absolutely love it except for the fuel economy. I had a 2003 Suzuki XL7 with third row but it sucked because I could not fit 3 people in the 2nd row comfortably so I traded it in for a 1999 LX for the extra room then I moved to a 2003 LX470. I actually use the little third row seats more often then I thought. The ladies in the family fit back there no problem so this SUV is very handy when you need to lug around 8 people.

I dont regret a thing. It has great room and feels so safe and has been very reliable to date. I never even considered Mini vans since I like to take off into the mountains every summer.

Im looking to upgrade in the next year, either the last of the LX470's, a 2007 or the new LX570. Either way for me after driving this beast for awhile, there really are no other alternatives.

The only reason i bought my 01 Land Cruiser was for our babies. Damned if I would've got a minivan. Other than the fact that I always wanted a Land Cruiser...
But this IS the very best vehicle I have owned. Great everything, other than the fuel eco, and i drive this EVERYDAY.

There a lots a safe family vehicles out there, as much as i love LCs it pisses me off to see such a solid wilderness expedition vehicle used soley as a kiddie transporter, now if it was for dual purposes then i could handle that.

There a lots a safe family vehicles out there, as much as i love LCs it pisses me off to see such a solid wilderness expedition vehicle used soley as a kiddie transporter, now if it was for dual purposes then i could handle that.

Great point. Of course if you live in northern new england(snow, mountains, dirt roads) and the kiddie transporter takes a beating for 15 more years than anything else would have...

My 62 is incredible, once you've had a LC it's hard to use anything else. Why doesn't toyota send us some diesels?

Thanks for all the replies, I am beginning to see more clearly.

Low maintenance, full time 4wd, excellent resale value, chick magnet, VSC and A-TRAC, you won't feel like such a dad driving one (not saying that is a bad thing..)

Oh and minivans don't float...

image018.jpg

Last edited:

I'm glad I live where i can drive the vehicle I want for whatever reason I want, whether it be safety and reliability, or space for kids and dog haulin', for getting the groceries, or for off roading. I have no problem with people driving what they want to drive.

To the OP, the 100 series is a great vehicle for a family, I love it with 2 kids and dogs to haul. i can't imagine having a smaller car even with 2 kids, since it gets loaded to the gills when we do a roadtrip, granted for everyday we could get by with a wagon or large sedan, but I like having a vehicle that can do what we want, when we want it. MPG aside, it has a ULEV engine, which means it has ultra low emissions, so not as environmentally unfriendly as you might initially think.

Sorry, I love my cruiser, but not if it was a daily driver - its just way too much vehicle. I am lucky enough to have my cruiser after years of dreaming - but...

Our other family vehicle is a - yes - Mini Van. Only its not so mini - it takes up more space in the garage than my 100. We have the Odyssey, before they revamped the Sienna. This is an incredible family vehicle. Heated leather seats, safety up the wazoo, NAV, DVD - all controllable from the front drivers seat and it drives very nice for such a big vehicle. oh, and much better fuel economy than my guzzler cruiser - come on folks, this dream toy we own is not environmentally friendly. oh, and yes - I love my cruiser - its all that and more.

I have to agree with BMWSTOY here. I have 3 kids too (14, 12, 3) and 2 dogs, and we are on our 4th minivan. The LC definitely works better for bigger kids than the van, and we tow a camper too. The van (a Chrysler T&C Limited AWD) is great. Just like the Odessey and Sienna, it is loaded with leather, heated seats, automatic doors, video, etc. Probably the best feature is the integrated child seat, which needs to be available on all cars and trucks in my opinion.

The AWD on the van is awesome. Chrysler does not make it any more, but Toyota does. I have taken it through 2 foot snow drifts effortlessly. It is not an off road vehicle, but it is comfortable, and safe and far more convenient with small kids.

The LC is truly a beast and more than anybody needs for a DD. We were going to sell our van, but now I will probably use the 4Runner for a DD and my wife may go back to using the van as hers.

go Minivan

I have to say, I have three kids, and the minivan is the way to go. I love my LC, but getting the kids in and out is a pain. My kids are young, and my oldest can barely climb herself in. In the minivan (2004 Sienna FWD), even my 1.5 year old can climb in. It's very safe, has great reliability, and gets 20-21 mpg in city driving. Plus, I can carry 4 adults, three kids (in car seats/boosters), and still have plenty of room for gear. I can't say the same with the LC, unless I put it on the roof, or a hitch cargo trailer.

I have always wanted an LC, but didn't get one until I started working from home, and no longer needed to commute.

WOW

I think he said he wanted help justifying getting a 100 series, not selling him on a mini-van. Those of you who are selling him on the minivan forget 1 simple thing.... you already have a cruiser, he does not. I'm not trying to bust anyone's b*lls, but cut the guy some slack - he wants to get a cruiser - and probably has to report back to the wife with his sales pitch. Imagine if you only had the Honda or T&C, and NO cruiser.....

Here is my opinion. I have 2 kids. They are six and 22 mos. The six year old is severly handicapped and needs lots of equipment when we travel, and the 22 month old is a baby and needs lots of equipment when we travel. I am able to put them both in the second row with my mom (she is a widow, so she travels with us a lot) and haul ALL the crap we take for a long weekend in the back with the third row pulled out. I looked at mini vans but they just didn't have the combination of hauling three people in the back AND the cargo space I need. I also bought a roof basket for the longer trips. I was able to pack everything for the four of us for a two week vacation in the back/on the roof. That includes an oxygen concentrator (about the size of a mini fridge), and a huge array of other medical equipment, as well as a play pen and a high chair. We also had two of the LARGE rolling suitcases and many smaller bags. I love my cruisers. The only thing I would own other than a cruiser is a pickup. In fact, my wifes next ride is going to be an LX470. The we will be a three cruiser family(unless I have my 45 LWB by then:D)

If you are like many of us - always dreamed of an LC but could not afford one - buy it now!

If you are a rational guy who just needs loading and hauling of kids on blacktop or dirt roads, a mini van is the way to. Not very fashionable, but very practical.

Very few SUVs or LCs (I do not count the LC as being an SUV BTW) are ever put to their full usage potential. It is a great vehicle, but just as the Porsche 911 is a great vehicle, there are more practical/economical options around.
Hence, at the end of the day, it is a matter of what you are looking for and what you deem to be able to afford.
The LC has great reliability, but it DOES require SOME maintenance and if done at a dealer it is pricey. On the other hand it is so easy to crawl under so much of the regular stuff can be done home in the garage w/o ever lifting it up.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the posts

This is great info. Overall, the balance is in favor of the LC:

1)we are only going to have two cars, one for family, one for commuting, replacing an FJ62 with an Odyssey or similar is pretty unacceptable. Replacing the volvo with an LC and using the FJ62 to commute probably would be irresponsible. So a volvo and a 100 works.
2)My wife drives 8-10K per year
3)Like all of you I like LCs and pretty much anything with an engine and wheels. I try to be good by not buying a porsche 356, motorcylce or other toy. So using an LC instead of a minivan is the one car indulgence at the expense of 5 mpg less. If minivans got 30-35 mpg that would be one thing, but they don't.
4)the land cruiser has to get points for longevity well beyond even the best minivan, if for no other reason than people like them and so keep them on the road.
5)it is ULEV and we are carbon neutral(terrapass).

Thanks again!

If you are feeling guilty then I'll sell you some more carbon credits to fund my new bumper:D

Just buy the damn Land Cruiser already!!!

Maintain your vehicle, drive it responsibly, and enjoy it for many many years to come.

Just think, you are recycling by purchasing a used vehicle:)

I'm not sure what you are guilty about nor do I see a problem...Go for the LC!

Heck, my wife and I dont even have kids yet, but we went ahead and got the rig for down the road. We def feel funny (guilty) driving around with just two ppl in the LC, but who cares. ppl question us as to why we have such a BIG SUV with no kids, and i politely ask them if they had anything to do with paying for it ;)

We know the LC is an extremely safe, comfortable, and reliable vehicle that will serve us for a long time. Since you've always wanted one anyway, go for it...its not like you are trying to rationalize squeezing the family into a Ferrari Enzo...good luck!

Having driven both, but only owning the LC (van was rented), they can each haul a lot of crap, kids crap and dogs etc. but the LC is hands down the nicest vehicle I have ever driven. Everytime I get in it, I enjoy driving it. Whenever my wife leaves town, I thorougly enjoy driving it to work as my new DD until she returns.

It's safe, quiet, smooth and will go 10 times more places than any minivan will and become a workhorse when needed. As everyone has mentioned, the mileage is poor, but after 3 years of ownership of this 99 LC, I've spent a whopping $52 on repairs for an antenna mast. Not bad for a vehicle that is now over 8 years old.

After owning this LC, I cannot ever see myself not owning a Toyota Landcruiser. It's one vehicle that pretty much can do it all and do it with style.

Adam R.

I have one child (1 yr) and a labrador retriever. These are reasons I used to justify a 100 (were also considering a 4runner V8):

1) Rear AC
2) extra space in case we have another child; you can do a road trip w/ 3 kids in the 100, although it'll be tight if they're young and you need strollers.
3) Offroadbility/reliability: although it spends 99% of the time on the pavement, we used to drive to out of the way places in the mountains and camp, will resume this once the baby is old enough.
4) You can buy replacement steel bumpers (ARB, TJM, Kaymar, Slee)
5) The tech support on this forum is excellent if you're a DIY'er.
6) LC/LX is supposed to be the most durable/reliable vehicle made. Anything I buy, I keep for 15-20 yrs. I figure the 100 will hold up better vs a car. Still, if you stick w/ a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna, either will go 200K+ mi. I wouldn't trust any other brands. And despite what they say about safety of certain minivans, the 100 weighs 3 tons, and 3 tons is always going to win out over a lighter vehicle in a collision.

If you have the dealer do everything, the minivan will be cheaper to maintain. Either will be great on road trips. Minivan is more spacious, but you are limited to pavement.

Last edited:
One other point. As a volunteer firefighter and EMT, on and off for the past 18 years, I'll never put my family in a vehicle that weighs less than 4500 lbs. Those in larger vehicles always fare better than those in smaller vehicles, regardless of crash safety standards. Physics is physics. With this being the case, the poor mileage doesn't phase me. Peace of mind is priceless.

My 2 cents, the LC is a great DD as well if you can afford the fuel.

Adam R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom