Help- jamming a big CB in FJ62 stock radio slot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruzerDave

Land Shark Outfitters
Threads
Website
landsharkoutfitters.com
I reviewed CBs and settled on the Uniden PRO538W as best for my needs, want to install it under a 1 DIN radio in the stock radio 2 DIN location, and while it fits width and height-wise *perfect*, the depth (8-3/8") pushes it right against the back so tight there is no way to connect the antenna to the CB.

SO- does anyone know what this big, flat plastic sheet is right behind the radio, and better still, can I cut in to it, heat & warp it, pound it, or do anything else to make room for the antenna cnxn??? I cant tell if it is ducting for ventilation, firewall, or what.

Has anyone run into this (and solved it) before?

Its the defrost air duct. Make a bracket so your CB sticks out a bit or mount in console.

Yeah, its the ductwork for the defroster.

What I did was go to Radio Shack and get a new PL-259 connector that has a right-angle bend built into it. I removed the plug that was on the coax and put this right-angle plug on instead, it really gave me a lot of relief on the depth.

3216(2).JPG

Here's my end result:

Eclipse_CB.jpg

ok, so heater/air duct is what I suspected too but has anyone tried to bust into it before? Is it hard, brittle plastic, or soft that can be melted with a heat gun, etc?

shotgun12321- funny, that's the other CB I was considering too, but I wanted the PA of the Uniden. I think the Cobra has 1.5" less depth so can see why you didn't run into the ducting.

KLF- good idea, will stop by the shack and see what's there, though even the .25" that might need might be too much....

Anyone ever taken apart a CB like this and have some pics- am debating moving the connector altogether (I'm decent with a soldering iron and would prefer to do that than return the unit or alter the duct)

Yeah, its the ductwork for the defroster.

What I did was go to Radio Shack and get a new PL-259 connector that has a right-angle bend built into it. I removed the plug that was on the coax and put this right-angle plug on instead, it really gave me a lot of relief on the depth.

3216(2).JPG

Here's my end result:

Eclipse_CB.jpg

That is some sexy dash work right there..

clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom