Help- jamming a big CB in FJ62 stock radio slot (1 Viewer)

cruzerDave

Land Shark Outfitters
Supporting Vendor

I reviewed CBs and settled on the Uniden PRO538W as best for my needs, want to install it under a 1 DIN radio in the stock radio 2 DIN location, and while it fits width and height-wise *perfect*, the depth (8-3/8") pushes it right against the back so tight there is no way to connect the antenna to the CB.

SO- does anyone know what this big, flat plastic sheet is right behind the radio, and better still, can I cut in to it, heat & warp it, pound it, or do anything else to make room for the antenna cnxn??? I cant tell if it is ducting for ventilation, firewall, or what.

Has anyone run into this (and solved it) before?

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star

Yeah, its the ductwork for the defroster.

What I did was go to Radio Shack and get a new PL-259 connector that has a right-angle bend built into it. I removed the plug that was on the coax and put this right-angle plug on instead, it really gave me a lot of relief on the depth.

Here's my end result:

cruzerDave

Land Shark Outfitters
Supporting Vendor

ok, so heater/air duct is what I suspected too but has anyone tried to bust into it before? Is it hard, brittle plastic, or soft that can be melted with a heat gun, etc?

shotgun12321- funny, that's the other CB I was considering too, but I wanted the PA of the Uniden. I think the Cobra has 1.5" less depth so can see why you didn't run into the ducting.

KLF- good idea, will stop by the shack and see what's there, though even the .25" that might need might be too much....

Anyone ever taken apart a CB like this and have some pics- am debating moving the connector altogether (I'm decent with a soldering iron and would prefer to do that than return the unit or alter the duct)

Yeah, its the ductwork for the defroster.

What I did was go to Radio Shack and get a new PL-259 connector that has a right-angle bend built into it. I removed the plug that was on the coax and put this right-angle plug on instead, it really gave me a lot of relief on the depth.

Here's my end result:

That is some sexy dash work right there..

clint

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom