HELP! Is my starter dead? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2001 LC with 230,000 miles. I'm original owner, starter has never been done.

Battery is relatively new and seems to have perfectly strong charge. 1 out of 10 attempts the car starts, the rest of the time it just cranks and cranks but doesn't turn over. No dimming of bulbs or any of that stuff to point to voltage being an issue. It either starts right up or just cranks.

First, congrats on having a starter that hasn't failed yet at that mileage. Second, I would suspect a fuel pump failure given the fact you stated that it cranks. Other potential problems given your symptoms would be a bad Crank position sensor, or the engine immobilizer causing an issue. Speaking for myself, I'm on starter #4 at 353k miles, but my fuel pump is original, however I'll be swapping in a new one very soon before I'm caught short.

There's many a thread on Mud for you to do some investigation, would advise searching 'Crank no start' to get the ball rolling and see where this leads you.

Last edited:
EFI relay issue?

Search for posts by @medtro to find his documentation about how to properly diagnose. He has a kit to fix the issue if you have an EFI relay issue.

Last edited:
Red the thread about the EFI issues. Interesting read, but seems to be happening on the tail end of lots of elec issues. I'm not having any weird issues, alternator seems to be doing its job just fine, etc. At the end of the day it's going to be my mechanic figuring this out, I'm just trying to get a jump on what the issue could be.

If the fuel pump were the issue, wouldn't the problem with it persist after the vehicle starts? Once it starts, it drives just fine. I figure a fuel pump issue must cause a stall, no?

2001 LC with 230,000 miles. I'm original owner, starter has never been done.

Battery is relatively new and seems to have perfectly strong charge. 1 out of 10 attempts the car starts, the rest of the time it just cranks and cranks but doesn't turn over. No dimming of bulbs or any of that stuff to point to voltage being an issue. It either starts right up or just cranks.
Do you have a CEL along with the no start condition?

Don’t mind the missing airbag. I’m in the middle of a steering wheel swap.

Once the car starts up, she’s perfect. The mrs and I just got back from an ice cream run with it.

FWIW, I don't have any known EFI relay or fuel pump issues, and if I crank the starter immediately after inserting the key in the ignition, it can take up to 3 seconds to catch and engine starts. It is occasional as well. I just live with it.

Last edited:
FWIW, I don't have any known EFI relay or fuel pump issues, and if I crank the starter immediately after inserting the key in the ignition, it can take up to 3 seconds to catch and engine starts. It is occasional as well. I just live with it
No, there's definitely something wrong here. I've owned this truck for 20 years. This started today.

Why do you think it is a starter issue?

I guess starter wouldn’t be the issue, you’re right. But what else could cause this to start up like this out of the blue?

A dodgy EFI relay or fuel pump. Your rig has entered the 20 yr / 200k mile club. Get ready for OEM part failures sooner or later.

It could be related to throttle bottle sensors, coolant temp sensors, fuel delivery....sounds like non starter related issue. Throttle Position Sensor also comes to mind.

OP - do you have an OBD2 code reader? Anything stored?

I do not have a code reader. Been thinking of taking the plunge. Any suggestions that aren't bank breakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom