Help In Reno (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dereksvoice.com
I've just arrived in Reno on vacation and the truck is doing some bad "hiccuping". This has been an ongoing problem and noone seems to be able to fix it. It was gone for a short while (month or so) but it has returned in full force.

I can't tell if it does it at highway speeds, but through town it's terrible. Like it's running out of gas. All gears...seems to be the worst in 2nd and 3rd.

New recently: carburetor, fuel filter & smog pump.

Quick history: it was "desmogged" very poorly. It ran so badly I ended up getting a new smog pump. This problem has existed since the desmogging, and didn't go away with the new one (only lessened somewhat). But now, it's even worse.

Would this be an EGR issue?

If you know of someone who can take a look at it this weekend or call me and tell me some things to try and do, please call me at: 541-621-5533. I am at an internet cafe and won't be able to check this board again for several hours at the least.

I can probably drive it back home (300 miles) on Tuesday but this lurching is really bad right now.

86 FJ60 with 207K.

Thanks for your help guys!

Derek

Might be the fuel pump going south. I don't know that there is a definitive test though. But, you could pull off the outlet hose, put it into a bottle and crank the engine over. Should squirt strongly I suppose. When my fuel pump failed, no gas came out at all - easy diagnosis. However, the truck ran poorly for a few months before. Runs fine now with the new fuel pump.

Since you mentioned EGR, sure it could be the culprit. But then again, you're "desmogged"???

Well, if you do have EGR... a valve that sticks or opens at the wrong time, will cause the problems you describe.

Take a long section of vacuum hose and attach it to the EGR valve pintle and using your mouth as vacuum, open and close the valve. Check for smooth operation. Sometimes, you can hear it snap shut.

A bad EGR vacuum modulator can also be the problem since it controls when and how much EGR to flow. Same with the EGR BVSV.

For the time being, you can disconnect the vacuum hose from the EGR valve to disable it altogether, but you need to make sure the valve is completely seated in the close position first.

who is on the cac list for reno??

Suck on the vacuum tube going into the EGR valve with engine at idle, if the engine bogs down and starts to die with vacuum applied then the EGR valve is OK and is most likely the modulator. Disconnect the tube and plug them and see if it does any better.

Thanks for your suggestions. I got a phone call within minutes of my post and received some help. I really appreciate the input and support. Truck's issue has subsided with the assistance.

And, just to clarify, I have had a new smog pump installed.

Civil1 said:
Suck on the vacuum tube going into the EGR valve with engine at idle, if the engine bogs down and starts to die with vacuum applied then the EGR valve is OK and is most likely the modulator. Disconnect the tube and plug them and see if it does any better.

If you can get it to idle. If an EGR valve is stuck open, it'll die as soon as you let off the gas. That's why I like to check it first dead, check if it's stuck, then crank her up and do the running diagnosis.

I once had a rock of carbon holding the valve open. It let enough EGR through to kill the motor at idle. I started it and quickly ran out to the carb to give it gas before it died. Then I opened the EGR valve using vacuum from my mouth and gunned the motor. It blew the obstruction through.

other ideas ?

Fuel cut solenoid ? With bad ground or bad power ?

On my truck I had to run a separate ground wire. Without the ground wire the truck has a flat spot on shift, stutter almost like running out of gas. Noticeable around town but absent when on highway ???

Cahil

4lowNGO who called you? I'm in reno and was just wondering who else was from here. It's sunday evening and I was about to call and at least offer a place to fix your rig but kept reading and saw you got help. Good to know.
ya I was just wondering who else on here lives in reno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom