Help in removing alternator in 1996 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replacing my alternator in my 1996 LX450. Removed the tray, disconnected the ps clamp, got belts off. Can’t get to the nut behind idler pulley. Do I need to remove pulley, tensioner bracket etc? Also, there is zero room to pull this alt out. What am I missing. There is no room to get old one out or put new one in. Any help would be appreciated. The FSM makes it look like it’s wide open.
Tom

You need to unbolt the power steering reservoir and move it aside. There is just enough room to get it out. My power steering hoses were rock hard so they just ended up breaking.

Thought I'd read this thread so I'll be prepared when my alternator (original) goes out. 310K on my '97 now.

I keep thinking every year...its bound to die sometime, but it just keeps working.

This is my fist since 1996. Hope it lasts at least half as long as my old one. Still trying to figure out how this will come out. It looks impossible.

I've changed alternators on the '93 last year, and installed the Sequoia unit. Can't remember details, it was tight but not impossibly so, but the general rule of that operation was that it's quicker to just unbolt (or disconnect...) stuff than to fight it.

IIRC the method I used, after removing the battery and battery box, was to loosen the three bolts holding the power steering reservoir to the intake and push it toward the fender. After the alternator adjuster lock bolt has been loosened, and the adjuster bolt have been backed out (loosened) and the top pivot bolt loosened, you can push the alternator down/in, which loosens up the belts. You do not have to remove the idler pulley.

At some point you have to disconnect the two wires to the alternator, one connector snaps in the rear, press in and pull out, then remove
the one ?10mm bolt holding a wire to the side of the alternator.

Now, after removing the top pivot bolt, you can move the alternator down a bit out of it's mounting bracket (if it's stuck give it a whack), then move it rearward toward the oil filter (removing that first helps also) then work it up and out all while reaching over and in from the left fender. You have to wiggle and guide it a bit to work past the reservoir hoses and the wire bundles in that area. Think that's about all of it.

Hope that helps.

Think I will remove the oil filter. That seems like it would give me a lot more room. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom