Help! In Moab. In need of rear spring. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, Hell's Revenge didn't go as planned. I broke my driver rear spring. I snapped in half and rolled down the hill about half way through the trail. I knew something bad happened when it was only part of the spring rolling down the hill! Anyone happen to have a spare in the Moab area?

Crap, wish I was closer. I just pulled a set of springs from my truck today.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully you're in a safe spot at the moment.

Crap, wish I was closer. I just pulled a set of springs from my truck today.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully you're in a safe spot at the moment.

I wish you were in Moab too! It was all good. I am at the trail exit right now. I just have some extra scrapes on the rear bumper in the usual spots now.

Post in Expedition Utah too.
Someone's probably nearby.
I'll post up in Wasatch Cruisers for ya too linking to this thread.

@gungriffin

Rear coil for a hundo? 😬

I Might have access to a stocker from an 80, plus i have some GX airbags. 😟

Former maybe useful, latter surely not... 🤔

80 could will work but of course not the height.

@gungriffin what coils do you need? What coil broke? We have every OME variant and quite a few Dobinson coils as in stock in SLC @ Cruiser Outfitters. Oh, we usually have piles of stock take-offs too.

There are daily couriers that go between SLC and Moab or I run parts on occasion. I'm headed to Green River to meet some other Cruiserheads tonight so we'll be an hour away. If I hear from you soon I could swing to the shop and grab coils. @bub64 and I could detour in and out of Moab.

@gungriffin what coils do you need? What coil broke? We have every OME variant and quite a few Dobinson coils as in stock in SLC @ Cruiser Outfitters. Oh, we usually have piles of stock take-offs too.

There are daily couriers that go between SLC and Moab or I run parts on occasion. I'm headed to Green River to meet some other Cruiserheads tonight so we'll be an hour away. If I hear from you soon I could swing to the shop and grab coils. @bub64 and I could detour in and out of Moab.

A very nice offer from Rufus the Stunt Bum.

This community is awesome!

Kurt, he is one of our club members and in the local forum he posted they found an 80 spring in Moab and installed it. Your offer just shows the kind of guy you are. Your a good dude, I dont care what @dmc says about you

Kurt, he is one of our club members and in the local forum he posted they found an 80 spring in Moab and installed it. Your offer just shows the kind of guy you are. Your a good dude, I dont care what @dmc says about you

Glad to hear. I did throw a couple pairs of different old man emu lift coils in with me. I'm actually going to meet some other rising sun guys on the outlaw run.

You absolutely rock. Thank you very much for the offer.

I just got cleaned up from getting the install done. We were able to get in touch with the mechanic at Navitec Expeditions in Moab. They have 16 80 series and were able to get sell me a spare Slee Heavy from an 80. It should work well and allow me to wheel tomorrow and also get home. The height is only mismatched by about 1.5" driver to passenger. It will be interesting to see if it settles at all. This was also a much better than our plan B of using some u bolts to join the 2 coil spring halves together just to be able to drive home.

Just a heads up to everyone. The mechanic at Navitec knew exactly what happened. Apparently a bump stop extension from Slee was the only way he had found to reduce the instance of coils breaking from over compression. The mechanic actually had a broken coil he pulled from his parts pile.

Posted by @J1000

PXL_20201017_234157691.jpg

PXL_20201018_001636446.jpg

Glad all worked out well for everybody. Just out of curiosity, what is the make of that broken coil?

Fantastic, glad to hear you got it all sorted. The gentleman at Navitec are awesome, we send a lot of 80 series parts their way, that's part of the reason I know that there's a same-day courier.

So, have you ordered a new set of springs or what??

Working to figure out what springs to get. I honestly am growing to like the additional rake of the Slee heavies in the rear. I am wondering if I should just ditch the progressives and go with a single rate spring that is heavier. I have a lead on some 866 springs that are lightly used for a good price though...

To anyone who might have feedback, my build out in the rear of the truck is:
  • 42 gal LRA tank on the drivers side Est: 200 lbs more than stock when full
  • Kiss Drawers Est:100lbs for drawers then probably 100lbs of stuff.
  • CFX75 Fridge on passenger side w/ slide ~85lbs
  • Rear bumper will be a Dissent single swing Est 275 lbs with 35" tire and Highlift
    • I am also probably going to get a second swing at some point to carry some jerry cans. In for a penny, in for a pound!
  • Might matter so I will also list that tires will be 35s soon, I am running 2.5" Icon remote reservoirs with CVDC, and I have adjustable upper and lower links.
This totals out to about about 760lbs more than stock. The only thing that I plan to remove between trips is the fridge so it will remain fairly loaded. The other big variable is that the fuel weight can vary by almost 300lbs.

Last edited:
Slee heavies rock....

I went to the armored OME ultra stupid heavy 868 due to I tow my KK but had Slee heavies and loved them.

I have close to same setup with tank and fridge and storage and 1st gen Slee rear.....running 34s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom