Help identifying what year fj40 axles I have (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday guys. Newb here. I have 2 sets of fj40 axles. Both are front rotors and drum rears. Only difference I notice are 2 different size pinion nuts. I’m assuming on is a corse spline and the other more desirable fine spline. I’d like to rebuild one set but am unsure what year these are. Makes ordering parts feel like I’m not sure what I need to order. Could you help? Thanks. I’m in Canada. Suggestions on where to buy parts would be helpful too.

Stock disc brakes started in 9/75 and would be fine spline along with a matching rear drum axle. However it's possible, with a little ingenuity, to mix and match parts from fj60's, aftermarket, and others. You'll want to post several pictures so the folks on here that know the smallest details can point you in the right direction. You can scroll through Cruiser Outfitters and Spector Off-Road to get a better idea of where the coarse to fine changes happen. What year truck are you putting the axles under?

Edit: I thought you were referring to the birfield splines. Early birfs were coarse and changed to a 30 spline count with the change over to disc.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply and vids. I’ll post pics in about 2 hrs. These are actually going under a on/off-road Suzuki samurai.

I got the axles for free. I really like the fact they they are disk fronts, seems to be a disk conversion for the back, rear diff is passenger side like my Zuk. Gears are great as I’m looking to turn 35’s or 37’s. Super heavy duty for my application and they are the right width, I can outboard my rear shocks to match the front. only real draw back I see are parts locally are a pain to obtain, the pumpkins are large(ground clearance vs pick up axles). It with big comes strength I suppose (9.5 I think vs pick up 8”). I like the heavier foot print it will give especially because of the height I’ll gain between lift and tires. Ya

Stock disc brakes started in 9/75 and would be fine spline along with a matching rear drum axle. However it's possible, with a little ingenuity, to mix and match parts from fj60's, aftermarket, and others. You'll want to post several pictures so the folks on here that know the smallest details can point you in the right direction. You can scroll through Cruiser Outfitters and Spector Off-Road to get a better idea of where the coarse to fine changes happen. What year truck are you putting the axles under?

Fine spline pinion? I thought that started around the end of 1978.

Does the frt end have large pattern knuckles, 12mm studs holding the steering arms on, or short body aisin lockouts on it? If it does it could be a 79 or later frt end, or someone could have swapped large patterns on an early frt end. FAQ's on the top of this section should have info on large and small pattern knuckles or use the search function.

Last edited:
Does the frt end have large pattern knuckles, 11mm studs holding the steering arms on, or short body aisin lockouts on it? If it does it could be a 79 or later frt end, or someone could have swapped large patterns on an early frt end. FAQ's on the top of this section should have info on large and small pattern knuckles or use the search function.

10 4. The search function sometimes gives me grief. Wording and so on. Anyways thanks for the heads up. Going to post pics real soon.

Go to FAQ,s scroll down to frt ends. There's more info there about lock outs and such.

Checked the flange on the driveshaft and it stayed the same 1/74-8/84. When the pinion flange changed from coarse to fine spline the bolt pattern didn't. Can not use the bolt pattern to determine if a pinion is coarse or fine spline. If it's different and still 40 series axles someone possibly change the pinion or possible earlier axles with a disc brake conversion.

Little more research shows the change from coarse to fine spline was 1/78. At this time possible the flange went from square to round since the part number didn't change after that for the 40 series. Would have to check my 3/79 to see if it's square or round.

Last edited:
I had a frt or rear end with fine spline and a sq'ish pinion flange. I dont recall what yr it was from. Ive only owned 40's with the gas tank in cab, under the seat. I know the flange is on my current rear end on my trail 40 with 4.88 gears, and I have never purchased a new or used pinion flange in my 40 yrs of Land Cruiser ownership.

As some posted above:

FIne spline pinions started 1/78

Shorter Birfs started 1/79

Bigger studs and wider spacing on the steering arms started 1/79

Front axle housing changed in 1/79 to allow for short birfs but there were all kinds of little changes every few years to the brake line mounts, etc.

Wheel hubs and rotors changed 8/80

That's all I remember right now.

Here are pictures. One with warn hub other selectro or something like that.

CDB4ACC6-91D1-40A6-B6D9-CF6494437F2F.jpeg

05E3D285-7D53-4C30-9346-6A754D019E73.jpeg

59F4BBD1-CBF6-4551-8331-428D335A40FD.jpeg

332AE12B-0C4D-4AD5-87FE-91DA4C028B45.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom