Help identifying source of noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed that my 03 LC was making a kind of clankity noise. Seems to be coming from the front center.

What do y’all think is causing it?

I appreciate your thoughts!

If you want a guess. Fan bracket. Can't see much in the video but it sounds like it. Does the fan look wobbly when running, look from the side.

If you want to know for sure you'll need to get in there and remove the belt.

I do like these engine noise threads because the troubleshooting tree is the same. This will help narrow it down

• Remove accessory belt. You don't need to remove intake box but it would make life easier if you plan on diving in deeper.
    >> I think the tensioner is a 16mm bolt and it has opposite threads. Rotate carefully to the left and be aware of the tension.
  • Inspect belt for debris, cracks, oil, etc.
  • While taking pressure off of the tensioner, how did it feel? It should have plenty of resistance / spring but it shouldn't be getting bound up or feel choppy at all. A nice smooth tensioner with decent resistance is what you want to feel

• Now that the belt is off, make sure the engine bay is clear and start the motor. Did the noise go away?
    >> If Yes, we can focus on accessory pulleys
    >> If No, then you are going into the timing belt components.

• Assuming timing belt and all that checks out you can focus back on your accessories.

Pulleys should rotate smoothly, with no grinding or free spinning.

• Power steering and AC are probably your least likely culprits
  • Alternator bearings have been known to fail so give it a spin and see how it feels.

• Check the fan for a smooth spin and give it a wiggle to help diagnose fan clutch / fan bracket failure.
    >> My fan bracket was squealing like a banshee on cold mornings but it didn't have any play
  • If you suspect it may be the fan bracket you can use a stethoscope to poke around the fan bracket / AC area and listen. You shouldn't hear any noise. When it' bad you will hear rotational grinding type noise.

• Check idler pulley x2 and tensioner discussed earlier
    >> There is a good chance these need replacement if they are original
    >> You want a smooth spin without any free spinning. Maybe 1/2 - 1 turn if you spin the pulley. Any noise or free spin , need to replace.

• If all the checks out , put the belt back on and fire it up
  • Get a stethoscope and poke around the AC / Fan bracket area again to see if you can hear it now
  • When my fan bracket bearing was failing I was able to hear the noise reverbing throught the driver side / lower area near the AC

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply!

Any idea how much it would cost to have the fan bracket replaced?

I don’t have the knowledge or skills to try and fix.

I appreciate your feedback!

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Any idea how much it would cost to have the fan bracket replaced?

I don’t have the knowledge or skills to try and fix.

I appreciate your feedback!
I'm not sure because I paid Toyota for it at the same time as other work. I can dig up receipts if you need but just give Toyota a call. I suspect under 1000 but over 500.

You may want to think about other " while your in there " maintenance.this repair gets them about half way into a timing belt replacement. May want to get it all done .timing belt , water pump , idlers , tensioners etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom