Help identifying module and de-pinning harness connectors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to solve some electrical issues and install a new head unit but the wiring diagram I have for my 1992 HZJ73 doesn't quite match what I find behind the dash. Can someone help identify these modules and possibly help locate the proper wiring diagram. The first photo, is what appears to be the A/C amplifier according to the wiring diagram. The second image is the unknown module, possibly a daytime running light relay or seatbelt warning relay although I don't get a warning for the seatbelts.

Also, exiting the A/C amplifier is an orange wiring that I have confirmed to be a 12 volt output, as you can see in the imagine the module is 24 volt. In the diagram I have, there isn't an orange wire and no mention of a 12 volt output. For reference I have the August 1992 diagram.

IMG_7733.PNG
IMG_7734.PNG

The second images are of connectors I need to de-pin to install a new head unit. Is there a special tool to do this easily or some other way to handle this?

IMG_7737.PNG
IMG_7739.PNG

I am trying to solve some electrical issues and install a new head unit but the wiring diagram I have for my 1992 HZJ73 doesn't quite match what I find behind the dash. Can someone help identify these modules and possibly help locate the proper wiring diagram. The first photo, is what appears to be the A/C amplifier according to the wiring diagram. The second image is the unknown module, possibly a daytime running light relay or seatbelt warning relay although I don't get a warning for the seatbelts.

Also, exiting the A/C amplifier is an orange wiring that I have confirmed to be a 12 volt output, as you can see in the imagine the module is 24 volt. In the diagram I have, there isn't an orange wire and no mention of a 12 volt output. For reference I have the August 1992 diagram.

View attachment 2937376View attachment 2937380

The second images are of connectors I need to de-pin to install a new head unit. Is there a special tool to do this easily or some other way to handle this?

View attachment 2937385View attachment 2937386
The last two photos sure look like the stereo harness connectors. Rather than de-pin those, you could either get a new Metra harness adaptor (the one for Toyota 1987 and newer) or you might be able to re-use that one and just connect the connector pieces you're holding in your hand to the matching wires on your head unit's pig tail. I think the Metra harness is about $10-12, so it might be worth buying one so that you can keep the one you already have intact in case you need to reverse engineer a problem later.

Metra x 2.

Once I reinstated the factory wiring (some previous owner had cut/spliced) here's what the two truck side plugs looked like (91 hzj77).

Mine had a factory converter for 12v audio just to the left of the glovebox (RHD truck)
Screenshot_20220226-211733153.png

The black Denso box is the ac amplifier.
The Matsushita box may be the factory’s 24-12v converter.
If you have the 2 connectors that JDM Journeys posted above, you should buy the Metra adapter and solder its wires to the new stereo’s pigtail of wires. No need to de-pin or cut wiring harness.

Once I reinstated the factory wiring (some previous owner had cut/spliced) here's what the two truck side plugs looked like (91 hzj77).

Mine had a factory converter for 12v audio just to the left of the glovebox (RHD truck)View attachment 2937944
Do you know what the converter part number is? I've heard about this before but I haven't been able to find any information at all about a factory converter.

The black Denso box is the ac amplifier.
The Matsushita box may be the factory’s 24-12v converter.
If you have the 2 connectors that JDM Journeys posted above, you should buy the Metra adapter and solder its wires to the new stereo’s pigtail of wires. No need to de-pin or cut wiring harness.
Can you 100% confirm the black module is the A/C amplifier? It's in a different location than the Aug 92 wiring diagram indicates. Also, I do have those connectors, I've identified most of the wires except 2 but you're right, probably best to buy new connectors.

Do you know what the converter part number is? I've heard about this before but I haven't been able to find any information at all about a factory converter.
Sorry I said left. Should've said right. It's kind of above and beside the glovebox if I recall? I checked for a closeup pic but I don't have one. Sorry.

When I got my truck someone had hacked the harness plugs off altogether and wired in the stereo direct. I like my wiring to be neat and factory, so i found the appropriate truck side connectors (as I'm my pic above) and redid the wiring. Then I bought the other side of those plugs to join the stereo harness. Not necessary I suppose, but if sometime in the future someone wants to install a new unit, the proper factory connections will be there.

Both sides of the plug can be found on Amazon etc from metra, and others...

Sorry. This is not the info you're seeking, but hopefully is of some help.

Sorry I said left. Should've said right. It's kind of above and beside the glovebox if I recall? I checked for a closeup pic but I don't have one. Sorry.

When I got my truck someone had hacked the harness plugs off altogether and wired in the stereo direct. I like my wiring to be neat and factory, so i found the appropriate truck side connectors (as I'm my pic above) and redid the wiring. Then I bought the other side of those plugs to join the stereo harness. Not necessary I suppose, but if sometime in the future someone wants to install a new unit, the proper factory connections will be there.

Both sides of the plug can be found on Amazon etc from metra, and others...

Sorry. This is not the info you're seeking, but hopefully is of some help.
I'm trying to do something similar but the harness has been cut and taped up to the point I'm bypassing it altogether. It's already such a mess, how much worse could it possibly by right?

I found this amazon listing: Amazon product ASIN B09235YKDL
I see it has a blue wire that is looped around, can you confirm that yours is like this and what it connects to?

I didn't have a factory converter but the black Denso box is definitely the ac amplifier.

I didn't have a factory converter but the black Denso box is definitely the ac amplifier.
Thanks for the info. Now I just need to find the proper wiring diagram. Is it possible I have a JDM only model? Generally I can't find much info about HZJ73 instead its more BJ73/4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom