Help identifying lift/height please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought this thing already lifted, looks to be around 2.5-3" but that is purely a guess. It has Rancho adjustable shocks. Thats really all I have for info on the lift. It must be a decent lift though because it has held up well over about 20 years of use. The ride quality (springs and shocks) are good but it wanders like crazy and really has a mind of its own over washboard bumps.

Im here because I dont have much off road suspension experience. My first thoughts are that all of the bushings need to be replaced, which is going to happen, but is there anything else I can do to to make it track better? Castor correction bushings? Plates? Drop brackets?

I have tried the search bar but there is just so damned much info and variables for different lifts, etc. so here is a pic of it with 315/70r16 Falken Wildpeak AT3's. If anyone can help with the lift height or any helpful info Id really like that. Thanks yall.
thumbnail_IMG_9604.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_9609.jpg

What are you asking for here? Identify the lift? Maybe someone could help identify the springs but you don’t have photos of them.

Trying to correct the ride quality? Get an alignment. If it was lifted without caster correction then start there. Are there brackets installed?

It looks like 2.5 front & rear, does the front have a coil spacer of any kind?

100% on getting an alignment @voodu3 mentioned...
Thanks, I was guessing it was 2.5-3". Ill get an alignment to start for sure.
What are you asking for here? Identify the lift? Maybe someone could help identify the springs but you don’t have photos of them.

Trying to correct the ride quality? Get an alignment. If it was lifted without caster correction then start there. Are there brackets installed?
I would never come on here and post a pic of 25 year old dirty a$$ springs asking if anyone could identify them. Im asking for people familiar with land cruisers (see the comment above yours) to give me their best guess as to how much lift I have, since the guy I bought it from died and I have no idea what lift is on it. No brackets, no caster correction bushings, no plates. Looks like they just did springs and shocks. That's why I asked if I should get castor correction bushings, brackets, or plates... From what I've read, the solution for my drivability issue will be directly related to how much its been lifted. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I come from a road racing background so Im no 4x4 suspension expert. Just trying to get this thing where I can drive and enjoy it.

Thanks, I was guessing it was 2.5-3". Ill get an alignment to start for sure.

I would never come on here and post a pic of 25 year old dirty a$$ springs asking if anyone could identify them. Im asking for people familiar with land cruisers (see the comment above yours) to give me their best guess as to how much lift I have, since the guy I bought it from died and I have no idea what lift is on it. No brackets, no caster correction bushings, no plates. Looks like they just did springs and shocks. That's why I asked if I should get castor correction bushings, brackets, or plates... From what I've read, the solution for my drivability issue will be directly related to how much its been lifted. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I come from a road racing background so Im no 4x4 suspension expert. Just trying to get this thing where I can drive and enjoy it.
Just trying to understand how we can help. I'd get new springs, shocks, and @Delta VS radius arms. Have the sway bar mounts been extended? If not, do that too. Add the @Delta VS rear panhard bracket and you'll love the ride.

Also, :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

I'm going to disagree with the 2.5"-3" lift guesses.

If those are 315 tires....I'd say you have a 4" lift on it and if you have no caster correction....its no surprise that the steering is all over the road.

You can measure from the center of the wheel hubs (front and rear) to the lip of the fender flares and let us know what those measurements are. Then those with similar measurements (that have a lift) can compare and we'd have a good idea of what is on there.

IF you know the lift kit to be 20 years old.....that in itself might give us some clue as to which companies were around then. Pictures would actually be helpful.

Last edited:
start with this thread below, nugget put a ton of time into it. I believe the measurements should be from center hub to flare. The link is overwhelming at first but once you read and study it starts to make sense. Stare and compare and search the forum. Close up pictures would likely help. IF truly 20 YO its likely a 2.5" OME and spacers someone can identify with spring pictures. Options were very slim back then.

From the looks of it, no front bumper, running boards and no mid and rear seats so its likely running light and between 2.5" and 3.5". all you will get is guesses and opinions without better pictures and research.

EDIT: FWIW I have what i think is 3.5" and measure 23 3/8" rear and 24" front center hub to flare,

Last edited:
Measure the distance underneath the bump stop, inside the front springs.
Details at the bottom of the first post of this thread:

Measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare at all four corners. Post the number here. It's generally accepted that about 20" is "stock" so if you measure 24" then you've got about 4" lift.

From the looks of it, no front bumper, running boards and no mid and rear seats so its likely running light and between 2.5" and 3.5

Measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare at all four corners. Post the number here. It's generally accepted that about 20" is "stock" so if you measure 24" then you've got about 4" lift.
Alright, so its 23 1/4" in the front and 24. 1/2" in the rear all the way around (with small variance) so looks like its likely a 3.5" lift that sits higher in the back due to no rear seats or spare tire.. This is really all I was after, as I dont really care what brand it is. After a couple of days digging around looking at pro's cons of the different castor correction options, I believe Ill go with plates.

Measure the distance underneath the bump stop, inside the front springs.
Details at the bottom of the first post of this thread:
Ill be diving into this after work today.

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP!!

Alright, so its 23 1/4" in the front and 24. 1/2" in the rear all the way around (with small variance) so looks like its likely a 3.5" lift that sits higher in the back due to no rear seats or spare tire.. This is really all I was after, as I dont really care what brand it is. After a couple of days digging around looking at pro's cons of the different castor correction options, I believe Ill go with plates.

Ill be diving into this after work today.

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP!!

I'm still thinking a 4" with about 1/2" of settling over 20 years, but no matter. Without some attempt to correct the Caster you'll always have unpredictable steering, possibly dangerously so.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom