Help Identifying Bracket From 1968 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Reassembling the project, label fell off this part. Help identify what it is for and where does it install.

Thanks in advance.

20210822_140221.jpg
20210822_140236.jpg

I have never seen a bracket like that, and I have been wrenching on Landcruisers since the mid ‘80s. My WAG is that it is either an aftermarket exhaust hanger or fuel pump mount.

784C124D-8391-4414-AD2F-F41C4948B4CA.jpeg

Pardon my photoshop skills, but you can barely make out where something circular was flush mounted here. Do you have an aftermarket oil filter or air filer housing?

Or fuel pressure regulator?

Thanks for the reply.

I do have an external oil filter, but it is mounted on the inner fender. Fuel pump and fuel filter are mounted per original.

There is a witness mark where something was attached, but I cannot remember what or where.

Don't believe it was on the exhaust, but will take a better look thru the exhaust bag of bits.

Another question.

It seems odd to me the vacuum pipe for the 4WD system would have the pipe for the forward fitting on the control valve on the FOD go to the rear fitting of the Tcase. It would seem to me the forward fitting on the control should connect to the forward fitting on the Tcase, rear fitting to the rear fitting.

But that is how they were prior to disassembly, unless they were incorrect?

A field fix for a vacuum component failure. I would avdvise disassembling inspecting and cleaning all the components before putting the vehicle into service.

Thanks for the advice. All components have been disassembled, cleaned and repaired where necessary, except for the engine,

So are the pipes correct?

Thanks for the advice. All components have been disassembled, cleaned and repaired where necessary, except for the engine,

So are the pipes correct?
When you start the truck, you will know. You can’t hurt anything in a static, driveway test. Just reach down and try to turn the driveshaft when the 4wd cable is pulled and see if the shaft is locked to the case.

It seems odd to me the vacuum pipe for the 4WD system would have the pipe for the forward fitting on the control valve on the FOD go to the rear fitting of the Tcase. It would seem to me the forward fitting on the control should connect to the forward fitting on the Tcase, rear fitting to the rear fitting.

But that is how they were prior to disassembly, unless they were incorrect?

Picture of area would help. There are two black lines going to the back. One is the speedometer cable and the other is to operate the hand brake. There a vent with a check valve on the top. Some times that is replaced with a barb connection with hose that terminates higher for water crossing. Some also add line between the transmission and transfer case fills. Seal between the two fails transmission over fills and transfer runs short. The vacuum operated transfer is on the front right side. There is a diaphragm with two ports. There run up to the firewall. With be on either side of the right rib depending if if has a factory heater.

Not exactly sure what your saying wrt forward fitting or rear fitting, but the only thing at issue with the vacuum shift hoses being connected “backwards” is, when engine is running and the front drive lever is not engaged the front drive will actually be engaged, and when the lever is engaged the front drive will become disengaged. If so, simply switch the hose connections at either the valve or the transfer case, not both. I think a ‘68 has the FD engage light so if it’s functional that will help to see things are correct or backwards. As Mark pointed out, if the front drive is engaged the shaft won’t spin by hand.

I don't have a good pict, try to explain:

The control valve on the FOD passenger side has two fittings for the tcase pipes. One is forward of the other. On the tcase, there are two fittings for these pipes, again one is forward of the other.

Connecting the pipes it was obvious they will only install in the original description. I will find out when I fire it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom