Help Identifying Bolt - Transfer Case Output Yoke to Driveshaft U-Joint (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, this looks like the part I am in search of. I'm just uncertain of the exact part for my model year. The truck is a 1982, but who knows it certain parts were hodge-podged together. The transfer case on the truck, was clearly replaced. It looks quite new in comparison to the original engine/transmission.

Is your 40 from South America? Based on Mark's observation, he thought 73 or older. If it's from SA it very well could be a hodge podge as you say.

Either way, you have to remove it. Maybe a 2 banana job. Then you can measure the stud and hole to what year will fit. As TPI's site says, you could use the newer stud on an older drum, but have to open the holes. Best to figure out what you have first.

It's under the parking brake and handle section, page 2.

If you click on the part number on the drawing, it pops up a box with the actual part number.
View attachment 3041065
Awesome, thank you! Are you confident it isn't this part? SOR # 076-16C. They both look like the splined stud I am looking for, but just wondering which one is correct. They look a bit different to me. They both appear to be from the same parts diagram, just different sources.

If you know which year you have, I would trust SOR for the part.

They just use their own part numbers.

If you know which year you have, I would trust SOR for the part.

They just use their own part numbers.
Ok. I'm not sure why Mark was convinced it was a 73. My truck is an venezuelan 1982 FJ45. I'm not certain that the drive axle, joints etc. weren't swapped for something older, but it's also hard to be certain because I don't really see the difference in the part diagrams.

This is the diagram from my search related to 1982 FJ45. When I look at the propeller shaft diagrams from my 1982 FJ45 search and the 1973 FJ40 search, they look identical to me.

Parts diagrams tend to be somewhat generic. Your SA 45 could have many different year parts on it. Search here for Venezuela, I think there are a couple threads about 40/45 assembly down there.

Parts diagrams tend to be somewhat generic. Your SA 45 could have many different year parts on it. Search here for Venezuela, I think there are a couple threads about 40/45 assembly down there.
I'll take a look. I didn't have great results on my initial search but will try again. I double checked the SOR diagram. It's a bit contradictory in different places, but it does suggest that non USA FJ45 models through 1984 follow this diagram. Now I just need to figure out if this is, for certain, the parking brake assembly / propeller shaft assembly on my truck. Hopefully, I can find time this weekend to disassemble, take measurements, and maybe give SOR a call.

Now I just need to figure out if this is, for certain, the parking brake assembly / propeller shaft assembly on my truck
Yes, but you still need to determine the correct size stud.

Yes, but you still need to determine the correct size stud.
For sure. I'll definitely measure things before I order anything, but it would be nice to figure out exactly which components are on my truck and if the driveline is OE to a 1982 SA FJ45.

While I wait on a 27mm socket to show up, I'm trying to get all the parts on order that would be necessary and recommended when removing the parking brake drum. Clearly the staked nut was reused, improperly, or someone just didn't know what they were doing. So, I'll be replacing that.

On nearly every thread I read about removing the parking brake drum, someone always said to drain the transfer case. I'm a little confused as to why there would be oil around the parking brake shoes (enough to spill out and make a mess). Would that oil be coming through the splined shaft area once you remove the outer parking brake drum? It looks like there is a transfer case output seal (link below), but I won't be removing the transfer case side of the parking brake drum assembly. If I still do, in fact, have to drain the transfer case first my logic would be... there is no (minimal) oil in there now, but when you loosen the 27mm nut and remove the outer drum it releases pressure on the output shaft seal and oil comes through. Is that correct?

Are there any other seals I need or should be replacing while I'm in there? The parking brake grabs fine, so I won't be planning to replace the pads or springs.

IMG_9895.JPG

IMG_9893 2.JPG

...Also, does anyone know the size of the nut? I need to order a socket to fit. My transfer case dates it to 1982. I found a forum post where some said 36mm, some said 32mm. Eyeballing it with a ruler, it looks like 32mm.

You might want to think about picking up a digital caliper. That way you will know what size parts you'll need.

You might want to think about picking up a digital caliper. That way you will know what size parts you'll need.
I do own calipers, but I just don't have access to most of my tools right now. In an ideal world, I wouldn't buy another set. I'll just rig up something tomorrow to better measure the width.

While I wait on a 27mm socket to show up, I'm trying to get all the parts on order that would be necessary and recommended when removing the parking brake drum. Clearly the staked nut was reused, improperly, or someone just didn't know what they were doing. So, I'll be replacing that.

On nearly every thread I read about removing the parking brake drum, someone always said to drain the transfer case. I'm a little confused as to why there would be oil around the parking brake shoes (enough to spill out and make a mess). Would that oil be coming through the splined shaft area once you remove the outer parking brake drum? It looks like there is a transfer case output seal (link below), but I won't be removing the transfer case side of the parking brake drum assembly. If I still do, in fact, have to drain the transfer case first my logic would be... there is no (minimal) oil in there now, but when you loosen the 27mm nut and remove the outer drum it releases pressure on the output shaft seal and oil comes through. Is that correct?

Are there any other seals I need or should be replacing while I'm in there? The parking brake grabs fine, so I won't be planning to replace the pads or springs.

View attachment 3041521

View attachment 3041522
Look,

@pjohnson gave you a picture of the drum assembly in post 11.
1656034711096.png

That machined surface on the splined shaft sticking up from the drum sets inside the transfer case. The seal you intend to buy rides on that surface. The seal keeps the oil in the transfer case and out of the brake shoes.

When you pull that drum out of place and the machined surface is no longer there to mate with the seal, what do you imagine will happen to the oil in the transfer case?

Next, you wondered why @65swb45 called out the u-joints were 1973 or earlier. That's because after 1973, USA FJ4x's upgraded to a different u-joint that didn't have those clips. Believe it or not, most folks here on 'Mud think you're talking USA market products, not SA stuff unless you specify. You never mentioned the pedigree of your truck before Mark's post #7.

You should really get a copy of a factory service manual (many available here on 'Mud in the reference section) to familiarize yourself with these vehicles.

Look,

@pjohnson gave you a picture of the drum assembly in post 11. View attachment 3041607

That machined surface on the splined shaft sticking up from the drum sets inside the transfer case. The seal you intend to buy rides on that surface. The seal keeps the oil in the transfer case and out of the brake shoes.

When you pull that drum out of place and the machined surface is no longer there to mate with the seal, what do you imagine will happen to the oil in the transfer case?

Next, you wondered why @65swb45 called out the u-joints were 1973 or earlier. That's because after 1973, USA FJ4x's upgraded to a different u-joint that didn't have those clips. Believe it or not, most folks here on 'Mud think you're talking USA market products, not SA stuff unless you specify. You never mentioned the pedigree of your truck before Mark's post #7.

You should really get a copy of a factory service manual (many available here on 'Mud in the reference section) to familiarize yourself with these vehicles.
Why is it that every auto forum dude with over 1k posts always has to be snarky? It's so much easier to just answer questions without the sass. It's not like I'm not doing my research here. I understand what I can from the part diagrams, comparing them to my vehicle (which could be a hodge podge of parts for all I know), and getting confirmation and advice from forum members. I've been working on cars for a long time, but I'm fresh to the FJ world.

You know, it's not actually 100% obvious that the output shaft seal sits around the shaft of that outer rear brake drum cover and in the part diagrams it doesn't explicitly show that the drum shaft goes into the transfer case. Nowhere did he accompany that post with a "that shaft sits inside the transfer case". That seal could just as easily sit inside the rear retainer, as the SOR diagram might suggest, with the spline section of the output shaft starting after exiting that component. In that case, the transfer case would still be sealed when pulling off the rear of the drum and its shaft would just butt up to the shaft extending past or short of the outer flange of the rear retainer. Again, I found posts where members suggested it, but was just confirming my understanding of the way the parts mate.

Sorry, I didn't mention earlier that the truck was a SA FJ45. I just got the thing and am slowly learning about just how much differences existed. I.E. in my search for parts on SOR, I am realizing that my 1982 SA truck seems to have the propeller shaft and transfer case output components of the USA models ending in 1980. I will look into finding a service manual, however.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 10.39.05 PM.png

Look,

@pjohnson gave you a picture of the drum assembly in post 11. View attachment 3041607

Just found this...this is the exact scenario I was proposing. If someone can definitively tell me differently, I'm happy to listen to their explanation...which is all I was asking for. But, when I look at this picture you can clearly see that it appears the retaining ring seal sits inside the rear retainer housing which bolts up to the transfer case side of the parking brake drum. Therefore, in that case, you could slide off the outer parking brake drum and the transfer case oil would still be sealed around the machined portion of the shaft...it all just depends on how far out that machined portion of the shaft sticks out, or not at all, from the rear retainer. In that case...sure, makes sense that the rear drum shaft might slide into the rear retainer ring seal.
Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 11.37.24 PM.png

There's also a paper gasket between the parking brake back plate. Also ask Georg (@orangefj45) for a kit including replacing those 4 bolts with allen heads for ease of future repairs. You may have to speedy sleeve the parking hub shaft. Also, I found my truck had a 29mm nut on a US spec.

Paper gasket is found at every parts store Dorman #494122
Allen bolts 8x1.25 (12-16mm long?) hardware store
speedy sleeve part #99177

Last edited:
Go for it. Report back when you get done, let us know how things went.

There's also a paper gasket between the parking brake back plate. Also ask Georg (@orangefj45) for a kit including replacing those 4 bolts with allen heads for ease of future repairs. You may have to speedy sleeve the parking hub shaft.
Thanks for the heads up. By back plate, do you mean the backside of this guy? If so, I wasn't planning on removing that, unless for some reason I have to...which I'm guessing would be the case if I replaced the retainer ring. I'll likely just order the seal and gasket parts anyway just in case I open the drum and there is prior evidence of oil leaking inside.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 11.48.32 PM.png

Thanks for the allen head tip, as well. I'll reach out to him. Are you talking about the 4 bolts holding the back plate to the flange or like a female allen head bolt (on the driveshaft side) just in case the spline grooves are worn down on the drum housing...like part 16 in the diagram below, still with a flange, but with a female allen key slot on the threaded end? Similar to the studs that would be on strut housings or in ball joints and such.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 11.56.50 PM.png

Just found this...this is the exact scenario I was proposing. If someone can definitively tell me differently, I'm happy to listen to their explanation...which is all I was asking for. But, when I look at this picture you can clearly see that it appears the retaining ring seal sits inside the rear retainer housing which bolts up to the transfer case side of the parking brake drum. Therefore, in that case, you could slide off the outer parking brake drum and the transfer case oil would still be sealed around the machined portion of the shaft...it all just depends on how far out that machined portion of the shaft sticks out, or not at all, from the rear retainer. In that case...sure, makes sense that the rear drum shaft might slide into the rear retainer ring seal.
View attachment 3041715
The shaft is not where the seal is made in the speedo housing. The pic you posted shows the end of that shaft just sticking out of the housing. The seal is just behind the edge of the backing plate.
Search for FSM in the title of the classifieds. There is a link to a site with pdf copies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom