Help Identifying Bolt next to alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I'm wrapping up a TB/water pump/DT header install. This isn't the first time the motor has been apart and so I'm not sure the PO's mechanic had put everything back together correctly. I've had to buy a correct specialty stud etc.

After I was wrapping things up, I noticed a hole next to the alternator but I don't have a stud to go in it. I can't seem to figure out what is supposed to be attached there either. It's the red circled stud in this pic I got from Scottm's thread. I couldn't find any good pics in my FSM either.

Thanks in advance.

bolt next to alternator.JPG

bolt next to alternator.JPG
bolt next to alternator 2.JPG

Ugh, it's been a few months since I've been in there, but I believe that is one of the studs the alternator hangs from. In the charging section of the FSM, there is a illustration of the alternator and other components. I think that stud uses the nut that torques to 11ft/lb.

Hope that helps.

I'll go take a picture, but I already installed the alternator (one nut on a stud and one bolt) and PS pump (2 bolts) but I can't seem to figure out what goes there.

Here's a pic of my wifes truck. As you can see the alternator is already in talked but there's a hole right next to the TB tensioner that has a bolt/stud in Scottm's pics. I'm stumped.
20151122_170710.jpg

Mine just has a bolt in it.
image.jpeg

YouTube vid pic.

image.png

A closer look, but a bit blurry.

image.png

I think that is for sure a bolt for the oil pump. PN 15100-50050.

I cannot say for sure what changes have happened over the model years to include it, make it a stud/nut, or not have it at all.

I'm assuming you have a 98-02? I could be wrong but maybe 03+ is when they started using that stud for the alternator?

I'm assuming you have a 98-02? I could be wrong but maybe 03+ is when they started using that stud for the alternator?

Indeed, I have 2000. Need to update my sig.

Thanks for the help everybody. I'll throw a bolt in it and call it a day.

If you haven't figured it out yet, you need to put the 2 stud bolts in the water pump, in the locations I circled on your picture. I've messed that up myself before.

bolt next to alternator 2.JPG

Bumping this for a question about this stud. I am in the middle of an alternator change on the '04. The '04 alternator uses the threaded end of this stud for a second nut (in addition to the lower bolt) to hold the alternator on. The nut on mine rounded, and I buggered up the threads on this stud trying to get it off. FSM for the '04 still only shows one bolt and one nut for the alternator, as was the case with my 2000. Anyone have any idea on a part number for this? There is a nut on the stud already, behind the alternator, and then another nut holding the alternator on. What does this stud actually hold onto the block? Mounting surface of the timing belt tensioner? Cannot find it referenced in the FSM or online parts diagrams at all. Before I take it out, I wanted to know if it was going to jack up the tensioner. Enough junk has to come off to change the alternator as it is, I didn't want to risk more.

lifted the pic from the timing belt thread, with stud in question circled.
2UZ-FE.png

Bumping this for a question about this stud. I am in the middle of an alternator change on the '04. The '04 alternator uses the threaded end of this stud for a second nut (in addition to the lower bolt) to hold the alternator on. The nut on mine rounded, and I buggered up the threads on this stud trying to get it off. FSM for the '04 still only shows one bolt and one nut for the alternator, as was the case with my 2000. Anyone have any idea on a part number for this? There is a nut on the stud already, behind the alternator, and then another nut holding the alternator on. What does this stud actually hold onto the block? Mounting surface of the timing belt tensioner? Cannot find it referenced in the FSM or online parts diagrams at all. Before I take it out, I wanted to know if it was going to jack up the tensioner. Enough junk has to come off to change the alternator as it is, I didn't want to risk more.

lifted the pic from the timing belt thread, with stud in question circled. View attachment 1298910
In 01's & 04 FSM this bolt gives added stiffness to the tensioner housing as it hold in its share of the oil pump.

Why some of the above picture, show studs, I can only guess.

In 01's & 04 FSM this bolt gives added stiffness to the tensioner housing as it hold in its share of the oil pump.

Why some of the above picture, show studs, I can only guess.
Thanks. In all years it clamps either via a bolt or a nut on a threaded stud. Later years have an extended stud out that goes through the third hole in the alternator.

There was more changes then I was aware of. I see three part numbers for both oil pump and alternator between 01 and 05.

I can't see any reason pulling the stud is going to hurt the oil pump or tensioner, as long as you get a new one torque back in.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Couldn't find the part number in any of the online systems, but dealer was able to. For my '04, which uses the extended stud as a third mounting point for the alternator, it is part number 90109-08298, #3 in the diagram below. Despite the sketch showing a plain old bolt, the Toyota parts system has an actual picture of the part, and it indeed has the stud extending out for the alternator mount.
20160801_081527.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, that was same diagram I found and took picture as actual.

So is the 2003 when the series 100 change to three bolt mount 130 amp alternator?

I wonder if later 100's can be upgrade to 130amp 3 bolt with just that stud, keeping old oil pump?

Interesting, that was same diagram I found and took picture as actual.

So is the 2003 when the series 100 change to three bolt mount 130 amp alternator?

I wonder if later 100's can be upgrade to 130amp 3 bolt with just that stud, keeping old oil pump?
did you use an online system? Which one?

I "assume" '03 was the cutover, but not sure. I'm not even convinced the third stud/nut is necessary since earlier alternators seem to hold just fine without it.

A few people have upgraded alternators. The main alternator thread has the details using the Sequoia alternator, which appears to be similar/same the '04 LC one. The electrical connector plug is a different shape, and must be spliced. Part numbers in other main alternator thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom