Help Identifying a Wire on the Column 74 40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting closer to the finish line on my frame-off. I have a wire with a bullet connector on the switch side of my turn signal/dimmer switch. It is green/white. There is no connector on the harness side and it's been over a year since I removed it, so I don't remember if it was connected to anything. It does not have wear marks ans is completely tarnished as if it were not connected anytime recently.

A total of 10 wires come from the switch. 3 for the dimmer and 7 for the turn signals. Per one schematic, the G/W wire connects to the brake light wire after the brake switch for a combo light. Another schematic shows a 7th wire from the turn signal switch not used and none of the other wires are G/W.

My taillight assemblies are the separate turn and brake lamps, not a combo lamp. I am assuming it is unused. But we all know what assuming get us.

ROX64C9.jpg

Last edited:
Likely the horn button wire. Something needs to ground the connection when you press on the button. Later columns did not have the wire in the tube like earlier ones.

Likely the horn button wire. Something needs to ground the connection when you press on the button. Later columns did not have the wire in the tube like earlier ones.
Hmm. I'll get the multimeter and check that.

Edit: No continuity between the horn contact wiper and this connector.

Last edited:
I looked at a wiring diagram for the 74 - looks like Green wire with white. Goes between the Turn Signal Flasher (#15 in image) and Hazard Warning Signal (#49 in one of the images) - only looking for Green/White wire in the diagram - nothing more. Added whole thing with blue arrows and didn't compress much so you can copy and zoom as needed (if needed).

For what it is worth.

IMG_0285.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpg

I appreciate your help. I have been looking at that diagram. Since this wire is coming from the signal/dimmer switch, component 29. I looked there and it shows a G/W going to the brake switch. My harness has some differences with that diagram, as well. It's a 10/74 build and I am realizing not it has some similarities with the 75 diagram. The 75 diagram appears to have been drawn by a different technician, as it shows the dimmer and signal switches separately and none are G/W. My flasher and hazard switch are connected to the harness, without a stray or missing wire. I think this wire is an anomaly.

I have a 9/74 and have a GW wire capped off dangling too:

When I unwrapped my harness, I noticed a cut off GW inside there but at the time didn't think much of it, because the horns were really loud Turns out only one of my horn wires worked. Not sure if this wire went to that or not...

I am getting closer to the finish line on my frame-off. I have a wire with a bullet connector on the switch side of my turn signal/dimmer switch. It is green/white. There is no connector on the harness side and it's been over a year since I removed it, so I don't remember if it was connected to anything. It does not have wear marks ans is completely tarnished as if it were not connected anytime recently.

A total of 10 wires come from the switch. 3 for the dimmer and 7 for the turn signals. Per one schematic, the G/W wire connects to the brake light wire after the brake switch for a combo light. Another schematic shows a 7th wire from the turn signal switch not used and none of the other wires are G/W.

My taillight assemblies are the separate turn and brake lamps, not a combo lamp. I am assuming it is unused. But we all know what assuming get us.

View attachment 3319074
I looked at a wiring diagram for the 74 - looks like Green wire with white. Goes between the Turn Signal Flasher (#15 in image) and Hazard Warning Signal (#49 in one of the images) - only looking for Green/White wire in the diagram - nothing more. Added whole thing with blue arrows and didn't compress much so you can copy and zoom as needed (if needed).

For what it is worth.

View attachment 3319773

View attachment 3319774

View attachment 3319777
I have a 9/74 and have a GW wire capped off dangling too:

When I unwrapped my harness, I noticed a cut off GW inside there but at the time didn't think much of it, because the horns were really loud Turns out only one of my horn wires worked. Not sure if this wire went to that or not...
I appreciate your help. I have been looking at that diagram. Since this wire is coming from the signal/dimmer switch, component 29. I looked there and it shows a G/W going to the brake switch. My harness has some differences with that diagram, as well. It's a 10/74 build and I am realizing not it has some similarities with the 75 diagram. The 75 diagram appears to have been drawn by a different technician, as it shows the dimmer and signal switches separately and none are G/W. My flasher and hazard switch are connected to the harness, without a stray or missing wire. I think this wire is an anomaly.
Wonder of this is the wire that would be hot in a Glow ignition switch... so a non-us diesel.
\

see my TECH photos below

these ARE oem TOYOTA japan spec FJ40 switches ,

NO CHINA CRAP !

they explain if u study them carefully :)

DSCN0683 - Copy - Copy.png

1624120361352.jpeg
DSCN8118.JPG
DSCN8119.JPG
DSCN8120.JPG
DSCN8121.JPG
DSCN8123.JPG
DSCN8126.JPG
DSCN8127.JPG

DSCN8129.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back