Help identifying a part in the air cleaner assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDNs78FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Was completing a restore of the air cleaner assembly and went to install this mechanism and noticed it’s cracked.... so I doubt it will work as designed. If I’m going with the sniper fuel injection setup do I need this? I’m guessing it would be better in the shut position vs. stuck in the open.

B8763FB3-3117-47C9-94FF-11B2B5D4D150.jpeg

D8DE1E20-27ED-4F95-8623-AF7AD493CF74.jpeg

I think that piece went in the front of the air intake inside the air cleaner. When warm, it allowed air to come in the open front of the air cleaner. When cold, it closed off the front inlet and allowed "warmed" air to come up from the shroud around the exhaust manifold...

Perfect. Do you know if this is needed if I’m eliminating the carb? It would be in the position so air would only come in the air intake scoop.

I have no idea what happens if you eliminate the carb. I like carbs. I guess I'd close off the bottom of the air intake and just use the front "scoop", for that ram-air effect...

Mine was broken so I riveted it in the open position. I live in central ca. so didn't think I needed it.

In your pic, the flap is in the down or cold air position. If you reinstall it and the bronze sensor is operable, it will cause the flap to move up, to the hot air position as the engine heats up. Before I fixed mine I removed the two screws from the flap hinge shaft and taped the flap into the down position so it wouldn't move. You don't want to mess up that Sniper!

I doubt that it works. If you don't have the hose from the exhaust manifold, then you don't really source hot air. I broke hot air intake, on my air cleaner, during painting, so with it gone, the air cleaner can source from either side, but the radiator fan or whatever might be creating a bit of a venturi.

GEDC1667.JPG

So I let the glue harden overnight on the piece that was broken. The flap moved to the closed position overnight while sitting on my work bench. I put some mild warm air on the copper piece this AM and it slowly closed. Kinda cool. I put it in the fridge to see if the flap would shut again to see if the mechanism is operating correctly and voila the flap closed again.... so since I’m going with the sniper FI kit I’m probably best to rig it up so it stays open or leave it out altogether? @wngrog do you have any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom