1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identify these drain plugs

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Herky, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Herky

Herky

Well the weather is getting nice and I wanted to take the cruiser out today. It still has the top off because I've been on the verge of starting the restoration since last fall :doh:. The problem is it's been leaking various fluids since I got her and I don't want to drive it without changing them all out. Keep in mind now that I bought this rig to learn on. I found the differential plugs and the oil drain plug, but I can't positvely identify the two drain plugs between the oil pan and the rear diff. I'm sure one of them is the transsmision, and the other is the transfer case (?) but I want to get all my ducks in a row before I go and start draining fluids.

That brings me to my second question. My book says:

"Transmission, transfer and power take-off lubricant type... SAE 90 EP gear oil"

I bought some 80W 90 gear oil for the differentials. Is this OK do they really want me to use that for the transmission?

I'm going to sit here and read the manual some more but if anyone has the answer I would love to hear it. I can take pictures if necessary but I'm sure that some of you guys have the undercarriage memorized anyway.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the lame questions.

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    there are 2 plugs on each the trany and t-case. the upper of the plugs is the fill, the lower is the drain(sorry I cant be more pricise), make sure you can get the fill plugs loose before you drain it, same goes with the diffs. Drain plugs should be the same size as the diff.....and I forget what that is.

I think I run 80-90 in my Cruisers, don't think you can find 90 anymore.

3. Herky

Herky

Thanks LP. I found it illustrated in the manual so that helps. I'm still wondering about the fluid though. Can I really use the same fluid for the diff, transmission, and transfer case? ???

4. Herky

Herky

I just got off the phone with Autozone and they said their computer says to use the smae thing for all of them GL 4 or 5 I believe.

5. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    yes, you use the same in trans, xfer and axles. i found that buying a 5gallon bucket of 75w90 or 80w90 is the best way financially to go.

6. Trevor

Trevor

Albums:
    You might already know this, but it's almost impossible to refill the cases without a gear oil pump. They cost a few bucks at the auto parts store, and are worth it.

7. Herky

Herky

Ya I need to invest in one. I made a huge mess the other day on the old F150 changing the transmission fluid. The right tools make all the difference in even the simplets applications.

8. Trevor

Trevor

Albums:
    First time I changed my gear oils, I used a hand pump that was designed for water. It took so much force to pump, the end broke off and I ended up hosing the Dodge Neon beside me with gear oil. What a mess.