Help identify previous front disc conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I spent some time this weekend searching about disc conversions, but could still use some mud help. I'm assuming this is a mini conversion with the solid rotor. Will I still be able to use the vented Fj60 rotors? Any help would be greatly appreciated Thx

14144224706621440129353.jpg

Pics might help lol

Yes , when you change the rotor to the vented one , the calipers will have to be changed as well . everything else with the exception of the arms should be the same .

Will I need to know the exact year in order to buy knuckle parts? Thanks for the input Too Tall :) For some reason I was thinking I was fecked

Maybe I'm just over thinking this? The round ststyle ooks like what I have Screenshot_2014-10-27-09-42-13.png

The round style is what you have. There is a difference between how the rotor mounts between the two hub types. The rotor and hub need to be the same style. So you 'may' have to change out your hub to go with a different rotor type. Here are some facts about these conversions from back when I did my conversion.

76-78 Fj40 rotor bolted to hub;
79+ fj40, FJ60, Solid axle Mini Truck-Rotor attaches to wheel hub with wheel studs.
The rotor/wheel hub assemblies are interchangeable as a set.
The later (wheel studs thru rotor) rotors are considerably cheaper than the earlier bolt on versions, however, they are more work and expense to change out because wheel lugs have to be removed and replaced, typically with a press.
Mini rotors are not vented, but 4runner rotors are.

The round style is what you have. There is a difference between how the rotor mounts between the two hub types. The rotor and hub need to be the same style. So you 'may' have to change out your hub to go with a different rotor type. Here are some facts about these conversions from back when I did my conversion.

76-78 Fj40 rotor bolted to hub;
79+ fj40, FJ60, Solid axle Mini Truck-Rotor attaches to wheel hub with wheel studs.
The rotor/wheel hub assemblies are interchangeable as a set.
The later (wheel studs thru rotor) rotors are considerably cheaper than the earlier bolt on versions, however, they are more work and expense to change out because wheel lugs have to be removed and replaced, typically with a press.
Mini rotors are not vented, but 4runner rotors are.

This is not entirely accurate:

The bolt on rotors, that had six bolt holes only in them were used until 07/80.
The eight hole rotors, six wheel stud holes and two bolt holes started in 08/80 and were used until 12/89 on the 60 series.(which includes the 60/61/62)

Solid axle mini-trucks, (pickups/4runners) did not ever get vented rotors in the USA. The vented Land Cruiser rotor will work on the mini-truck wheel bearing hub, six bolt or two bolt style, you will just need to use a Land Cruiser caliper as the rotor opening is not the same for the solid disc caliper vs the vented caliper)

Vented rotors on mini trucks did not start until 08/85 with the advent of IFS.

:beer:

Yeah Im sure its a 79 or 80 based on the measurements of the larger knuckles, Thanks for that write up Poser :D
Yeah I actually did use the Faq section earlier but was still confused doh! :bang:

Thanks for everyones input I understand the different versions a little better now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom