Help identify noise from engine bay! :) LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, just bought a 1998 259k LX, full service records from Lexus , 40k worth!!! Anyways, I realize despite the clean records, this is still a 20 year old car approaching 300k, but I'd like it to be as perfect as possible.

Trying to figure out this noise coming from the engine bay. I only notice it in park or neutral, could be when in drive there's more engine noise covering it up. It's very weird to describe, almost like some sort of underwater pulsating in a tunnel. Shows up more if I put my ear closer to the radiator. I thought maybe a pump or belt at first, but now thinking the closest thing it sounds to is some sort of exhaust note. Perhaps a leak somewhere in the system? I have no idea.

I posted a OneDrive link of a video below. Probably better audio resolution if you download the file direct to your desktop. You have to listen for it in the background of the video, but it's consistently there throughout the video, gets louder in certain spots. One thing that might give a hint is my gas milage is obscenely poor at the moment. I see people complaining about 12, which is what I expected to get, and would dream about at this point. Feels like I'm closer to 8-10. Almost at halfway down on a tank and I only have 85 miles on it.

Anyways, if you guys have some free time I'd love to know what you think. Thanks!

LX

To my ear that sounds like a bearing or pulley going out on one of the accessories or alternator, possibly even a belt going bad. There's the unmistakeable "wobble" sound, anyone else? Would a failing water pump make this sound? That might be a bit more urgent if anyone thinks that could be the cause.

I was able to hear it without downloading the file, just played the video. You do have to mentally filter out the fan and belt sounds but then it becomes clear. I get 11.3 on a stock LX with premium fuel and Dueler AT tires, confirmed with a fuel economy app. I actually turned my "PWR" switch on and it drives much better and made no difference in fuel consumption.

This video is my confirmed failed water pump. It is a little louder than yours but very similar rhythm. Perhaps yours is in the earlier phase of blowing. ??

Thanks for the reply so far guys. Really appreciate all taking their time to assist. If it is waterpump then it was installed incorrectly by Lexus as it was done just 7k miles ago

upload_2018-11-21_14-52-9.png

It is possible. The one that went in my video was a Toyota AISIN part with only 30k miles. But yours may not be. Not sure.

It's just a name that stuck coz it looks like a water pump for most people that don't know the real name.;)

I have three Toyota that has it and all of them went out between 210k and 255k, the last one

was my 3.0L on my truck which made it 262k and my 3.4L @ 255k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom