Help! I need a page from the 1994 EWD... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PNWTreeOctopus

SILVER Star
Threads
I messed up. I lost track of the orientation of wires during a plug transplant for my NSS. I have spent many hours looking for what I need. Its entirely possible I cannot find it because I am such a rank beginner in all these LC repairs. I need the page from the 1993-1994 era FSM or EWD that shows the ECT and NSS. I have one from 1996 manual, but unfortuanlty the switch connector is different in the 95+ models. Im specifically interesetni in the wire colors and connections as shown in the red box.
ECT and NSS 1996 EWD.png

To add further confusion the wires on the plug (which have been cataloged by user @gbell210 in this thread) have slightly different colors than the harness side. Additionally the harness side only has 7 wires and the plug side has 8. So narrowing down what goes where has me stumped without some handy cheat sheet like the above, but for my 1993 LC. I know, I need to buy a proper FSM and EWD. I really do, but in the mean time I need to get this thing working properly (Reverse lights, PRND2L lights, and gear holding in L and 2). I deeply appreciate your help.

Is the page you need?

Attachments

• 11 - Starting & Ignition.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 69
Thanks, but that not quite it. It shows the smaller of the nss connections that controls the starting in N or D part. I need the part that talks to the ECT. Seven connections in total.

Last edited:
Lets try this one. Am i getting warmer?

Attachments

• 34 - Electronic Controlled Transmission.pdf
    90.2 KB · Views: 58
This is helpful. Im madly trying to figure out the connections. Are the red and green spliced together? I’m confused a bit by the photo.

Ok this is confusing. The EWD shows different colors than the switch has. I can confirm from two different NSS switches that the colors don’t jive. What the heck am I missing? @voodu3 these photos are super helpful, but I can’t quite see Some of the connections and the ones I see dont match the ewd. EWD says Orange harness to green with white strip. And Harness Green with blue strip to orange on switch. These would be the signals for 2 and L. See what I mean by confusing?

This is amazing!

This is the spirit that makes this forum so amazing. Simply put, there is no way I could own and operate a Land Cruiser without this forum. Thanks all, my PRND2L lights are back, the transmission will hold 1st in L, and the reverse lights work again. Ive been living with these issues for a couple of years and I’m so happy to have them fixed!

Late to this thread @PNWTreeOctopus , but glad @voodu3 put that image up of both connector sides for you I made one like it years ago when I had the issue, that may be gone now, since I don’t have the 80 series anymore, but a gx460 (150 series)....so still in a cruiser family 👍

And like I mentioned in my previous post, I used an engine harness connector where each pin had a silicone sleeve to keep gunk/water out. I figured if it was already being used in an engine area, it could withstand the heat too. Toyota is pretty decent with component designs, but that PHH and this barrel connector must have been given to an intern 😃

@gbell210 your original thread was incredibly helpful in diagnosing the issue, a couple of years ago. It has led to a tremendous amount of learning on my part. Lots of folks willing to send pictures and information and keep these rigs on the road, and help beginners like me with rookie mistakes.

As far as the PHH, it’s a dead horse, but yes who on earth made that design choice? Was the intention to access through the wheel well I wonder or to dismantle the engine to get after it. I wonder what the heck the other design ideas were, since this is likely the lesser of two evils. Glad I have both these issues sorted. Done and done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom