Help I can't stop my windshield wipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a newbie. My wipers on fj60 will not turn off with the lever on the steering column. I have to take the fuse out of the fuse panel to get them to stop. This is an intermitant problem. It does not happen all the time but is a real pain when it does. Any ideas about where I should start to look to fix the problem. I guess it would not be a big deal if I lived in Seattle:eek:! Thanks for any help.

I had the very same problem. It is something to do with the system that controls the way that the wipers always stop at the "rest" position. Don't count on a new wiper motor solving your problem. I replaced both the wiper motor and the intermittent relay with new used ones. Neither solved the problem. However, if you will remove the intermittant relay out of the system, your motor may begin stopping like it should but you will only have one speed (I think that is how it was, but not sure) Try that and post back.

My problem "healed" itself. During the process of messing around under the dash with the trunk of wires coming off of the wiper switch that go to the intermittent relay, I think I moved an exposed wire away from whatever it was shorting on, or alternatively, reconnected a dead short.

I am certain that this problem will come back to haunt me, probably at some inconvenient time but for now it is working perfectly again.

P.s. The intermittent relay is under the dash to the RIGHT of the steering column. There will some digital gymnastics involved in removing.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I hope to have some time this weekend to try and get to the relay. I will repost what happens . Thanks again.

it has to be a short in the switch. i had the same problem with another car. replaced the switch and it fixed the problem. unfortunatly as said earlier it might be easier to replace the whole thing.

Carry a 10 mm wrench with you. Pull you wiper blades off when it is not raining and put them on when it is. Really ghetto...

I had this problem too on a road trip to Steamboat and eventually it worked itself out. Side note, one of my wiper arms was on loose and became mis-aligned over the course of 20 minutes or so and eventually my wipers were out of sync and battling each other on the windshield. A little distracting :lol:

I'm having the same problem. Is the switch in the column hard to replace?

I figured I couldn't get it anymore. How hard are they to replace?

Very easy to replace if you can find one. Last year I bought one on EBay from Thailand or Malaysia, not OEM but aftermarket. It took forever to get here. So long in fact I figured I got ripped off or shipment lost. My turn signals would not switch off after a turn. I took it apart and rebuild the little bumps that reset it with a thin coat of JB weld which worked. A month went by. I complained to the seller and he refunded my money promptly, it was cheap like only 50 bucks. Then about 3 weeks later it showed up! And It looks and feels exactly like Toyota OEM. So now I have a spare.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I hope to have some time this weekend to try and get to the relay. I will repost what happens . Thanks again.
I know this is old, but did you ever figure this out? Was it the switch on the steering column, or the relay, or the motor? I'm having the same issue. Thanks.

I know this is old, but did you ever figure this out? Was it the switch on the steering column, or the relay, or the motor? I'm having the same issue. Thanks.

What did you come up with to fix your issue? I just went to the car wash, shut it off and now... non stop windshield wipers.

Mine will do this if I go from 2nd detent to off without pausing on intermittent. Try pausing at the first detent and letting them cycle before going to off.

What did you come up with to fix your issue? I just went to the car wash, shut it off and now... non stop windshield wipers.
I pulled my relay out. Only problem is, I have to manually stop it at the bottom of the cycle (in the rest area). It was going into summer, so it wasn't an issue, and by the end of summer, I decided to tear my whole front end apart, so it's definitely on the back burner as of now.

Have you tried counseling?

Mine will do this if I go from 2nd detent to off without pausing on intermittent. Try pausing at the first detent and letting them cycle before going to off.

YES! That is a thing. I thought mine were the only ones that did it. I have a very bad old habit from driving vehicles with no intermittent wipers, of clicking down to fast for a quick swipe, then back to off. In fact, I got so good at doing it on the 60 that it took me a couple of years to even fuss with fixing the intermittent and park functions. Now that I sorted all that out, I find myself still doing it, and they do exactly as you describe. Low battery voltage/bad charging system will also play hell with the wiper system. Figured that out a couple weeks ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom