Help, I can't beat the heat!!!! 1977 BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys, Need some advice from you Guru's. Have changed out HEAD GASKET, THERMOSTAT, WATER PUMP. My 1977 BJ40 ( stock B diesel ) is still getting too hot at climbing and uphill freeway speeds. Way to hot. I will be checking out the RADIATOR FLOW but hard to believe that might be it. Rad seems in good shape. Question since I do not know enough about B, 2B and 3B diesels. What else can cause this motor to get hot at Climb or Uphill Freeway speeds? No smoking, Compression over 420 and even, idles perfect, does not overheat at slower, around town speeds. Thanks for some info.

Flush that radiator. After all it's the one responsible for cooling your engine.

How many KMs? Might be worth getting your engine coolant flushed out while you're at it.

After that use Toyota Red coolant and mix it with distilled water to the recommended ratio for your climate.

A BJ40 isn't really happy with modern highway speeds, let alone on hills. What RPMs are you holding this thing at on said hills?

image.png
Post up a pic of the pump timing stamps on the side of your injection pump. I run my pump retarded but I remember a guy last year in Vegas that had major power loss and overheating because his pump had been signifigantly advanced.
g

What are your EGTs while "climbing and uphill freeway speeds?" If your fuel is turned up, you can easily reach high EGTs, which in turn will heat up your coolant pretty fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom