Help..I broke my radiator! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I broke mine at the same spot a day before a 2300+ mile round trip. I plugged the nipple with a screw loaded up with jbweld, and then i carefully drilled a hole in the tank, and used a 1/4 inch threaded hose barb. I used a ratchet with even pressure to tap the hole with the barb, backed it out, and painted the threads with jb weld. I ran it in as far as comfortable, then filleted around it. It held up fine on my trip. I did replace the radiator last feb with a 2 1/2 row brass OEM from Beno.

OK since I'm new here I need help with some terms. What is "Beno"?

My vehicle suffers summer 50+ Celsius and at winter below -40. Plastic top and bottom is not really good option. After plastic starts cracking on the second radiator I came up with idea.

I went to the heavy trucks shop, took Mercedes Actroc 4 row core very thick radiator. The core area was bigger than TLC's. Took my shot radiator and merc's to the shop where guys do weld aluminium. We stripped all mounting elements from my radiator cut the core to the size of my radiator and welded with 4 row core of Mercedes's. Attached all mounting brackets. We have made it also cross flow to increase the efficiency.

I achieved the high volume - 16 liters volume just for radiator. Last summer I have tested it, works really well. We did few mistakes though. I should of make expansion tank mounted on radiator, freeing up the space behind the headlights. And hook the windshield reservoir tank to it so it keeps warm.

As the price for the custom radiator was twice cheaper than a new stock, I am thinking this summer to make another one, with integrated power steering fluid radiator and engine oil cooler. So I do not have to mess with three radiators. You can judge the thickness of the radiator by the size of the filling cap.
IMG_20160124_151001[5].jpg
IMG_20160124_150950[8].jpg
IMG_20160124_150933[5].jpg

Beno is the username of an awesome vendor on here. serach for his username, and you can find out how to reach him for great deals on OEM parts.

what is this thing for, i just broke mine and tried jb welding and now my rig is running hot. what does that little hose do? can i just plug it? need new hose too.

It needs to be there to balance the cooling system.
Fix it or move on to another vehicle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom