Help. I am losing my mind- front end noises (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Been a minute.

Everything has been pretty good for my LX last few years, did the routine maintenance on my daily driver and it kept running and being super reliable up until last week.

I was on road trip (Just 1500 Miles), It was great, no issues. On the way back, 100 Miles away from home I slowed down for fuel, heard some very obvious rattling noise come from the front end. I pulled over, witnessed the fan wobbling. Within seconds the serpentine belt snapped. I immediately turned off the engine and called a tow truck. Toyota dealer charged me $950 to change belt and bracket, I did not object as in North Dakota my only option was a Toyota dealer. I picked up the truck, drove home and next day I heard a very minor rattle come from front end. It was not consistent, would come and go around 40-50 mph, generally when I would let off the accelerator because I could not hear anything when pushing the gas.

It is a very minor rattle, no where close to the original rattle. I called Toyota and they said nothing useful. That they did everything right and to bring it back. I am avoiding a 100 Mile drive back to Toyota just for them to tell me some nonsense.

Another issue/sound I hear now, only when in slow speeds I hear a scrapping sound coming from right front side ONLY when I turn to the right. Its just annoying.

I took it to a highly recommended shop in Minot, They drove it and could not hear any of the sounds. I can, my wife can, workshop techs can't.

When i pop the hood open I cant hear it, Nothing seems loose. I do have some rust, wondering if some metal is breaking somewhere?

Any ideas?

They are ok at best. Would they make a sound if they were bad and I turned to the right only?
In my experience when i've had pads get low the grinding/whirring sound is exemplified when I turn the wheels

Could be a worn serpentine belt idler pulley or alternator pulley bearing. Maybe you can hear it now because the new fan clutch it quieter?

So I had the local shop take it for further inspection, they came back and said Idler pulley is worn. $400 to replace 2 of them. He did say that it is not that bad but might be the cause. He was not sure if that is causing the noise. I still got the work done. Took the risk and after a 30 min test drive, its still making the sound, just quieter this time. Not as obvious. WTF

So I had the local shop take it for further inspection, they came back and said Idler pulley is worn. $400 to replace 2 of them. He did say that it is not that bad but might be the cause. He was not sure if that is causing the noise. I still got the work done. Took the risk and after a 30 min test drive, its still making the sound, just quieter this time. Not as obvious. WTF
Alternator bearing probably also making noise.

Get a mechanics stethoscope. You can hear bad noises clear as day if you can methodically narrow down components instead of taking to shops that will generally just be guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom