Help! HJ 47 (2H) glow plugs won't work!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.landtrek.net
Hey! I thought maybe someone had ideas or suggestions as for why the 6 new glow plugs I just installed in my '83 HJ 47 (2H) won't work?? The yellow "glow plugs ON" indicator light comes ON normally when I turn the key but it goes OFF after only 3 or 4 seconds. Says in th Toyota manual it should stay ON at least 15 secs. Because the manual says this maight happen if a glow plug is short circuit, I tried unplugging the connector that brings the juice to the glow plugs completely and still have the same problem.

Amaurer says I'm probably the happy owner of a Super Glow system... Anybody can tell me more about it?? :crybaby:

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. Thanks!

As your manual says, 15 seconds glow would be right for a 'slow-glow' system, which, on an HJ47 means October 1982 or earlier, and uses 8.5 volt plugs in concert with a glow controller. Your truck almost certainly has a Superglow system. Your manula probably doesn't cover that set up. You can tell you have superglow by the presence of a green plastic temp sensor on top of the cylinder head (towards the front of the engine) and the presence of two glow relays, a main (cylindrical) and a sub (rectangular), the absence of a glow controller on the dash and its replacement by a glow light. The normal glow period for a Superglow set up is on the order of 2~4 seconds.

Now question is, the new plugs you put in - which voltage are they? It says right on the plugs. If you put in 8.5 v plugs, the glow will be poor, as the plugs won't heat up quickly enough in sync with the pre-heating timer. You need 6 v plugs for the Superglow, 12v battery set up.

as for 'happy owner of a Superglow system', well YMMV.

Nothing wrong, in my opinion, with the Superglow system. The glow time will vary depending on temperature. If the engine is warm the glow time will be very short and as the engine cools the glow time will increase.

You're right!

As your manual says, 15 seconds glow would be right for a 'slow-glow' system, which, on an HJ47 means October 1982 or earlier, and uses 8.5 volt plugs in concert with a glow controller. Your truck almost certainly has a Superglow system. Your manula probably doesn't cover that set up. You can tell you have superglow by the presence of a green plastic temp sensor on top of the cylinder head (towards the front of the engine) and the presence of two glow relays, a main (cylindrical) and a sub (rectangular), the absence of a glow controller on the dash and its replacement by a glow light. The normal glow period for a Superglow set up is on the order of 2~4 seconds.

Now question is, the new plugs you put in - which voltage are they? It says right on the plugs. If you put in 8.5 v plugs, the glow will be poor, as the plugs won't heat up quickly enough in sync with the pre-heating timer. You need 6 v plugs for the Superglow, 12v battery set up.

as for 'happy owner of a Superglow system', well YMMV.

Well H.J., you sure know your 47 stuff. And it's no wonder after doing such a thorough job rebuilding yours!! Hats off to you for that!:clap:

You are probably exactly right! I did find the green plastic temp sensor in the front of the engine. But, I don't have a clue as to where the 2 relays would be located... Anyhow, I still had the old glow plugs lying around and, lo and behold, they have a different part number then the ones I put in!!!!! Says right on them: "6 V". :doh:

When I ordered the plugs, I had no idea there could be 2 different systems using different plugs. :whoops: And nobody mentionned anything about it at the time I ordered so I blindly took out the old ones and put the new ones in without looking at the part number on the old ones (it is stamped right on the plugs also).:bang:

Luckily for me I contacted Cruiser parts.net (where I ordered from) and they agreed to send me the right plugs for free (except shipping) as long as I send them the wrong ones back when I get the new ones. Big thanks to them for that! (especially since the plugs are in the engine as we speak!!!)

Just so everybody knows and no-one gets tricked like I did, here are the right part numbers:

Regular slow-glo system, 12V battery, 8,5V glow plug part no: 19850-64032

Super glow system, 12V batt., 6V glow plug no: 19850-63050

Caring for those iconic vehicles is an ongoing learning process to which I'm very new....

Thanks sooooooooo much for pointing me in the right direction. I wish I knew 1/10 of what you know about our trucks... Someday...

I'll let you know how it goes soon as I get the new plugs.

BTW, I see on the very first pic of your rebuild thread that your truck used to have a (probably) Donaldson air cleaner on the left fender very similar (if not identical) to the one mine has. I was wondering if you knew where I could find a replacement "hose" for it? I'm talking about the one that actually connects the air cleaner to the intake. Any ideas?? I realize you probably did'nt spend too much time reseaching that aspect as you were going to discard it anyway but... I was going to ask if yours was in decent shape when I noticed it had been fixed with duct tape (I think). Let me know. TKS!

I think there was a thread on this forum a while back on the topic of Donaldson filters and IIRC there were some links to parts distributors. I suggest a search under 'Donaldson' will get you the info you need.

With the right voltage plugs, the Superglow system does work well - it is however more complex/parts-intensive than a bare-bones set-up and is tougher to diagnose faults with, and is more expensive a proposition when it comes to replacement parts. I'm not sure you can even get all the parts for those set ups any more - the original relays for the slow-glow HJ47 configuration are no longer available from Toyota (anywhere), so I wonder about the Superglow stuff as well. If it does die, however, it is not a big problem to convert to some sort of manually-switched system, so have no fear. Glad i could be of help :cheers:

Purrs like a kitten!

Finally got the new 6V glow plugs and found time to put them in. Turned the key, glow plug indicator came on for about 3-4 sec. (just like before) but when the key hit that "start" position, she fired right up after only two engine revolutions!!! :bounce:

She now purrs like a kitten, well actually a snoaring kitten...:)

Thanks again for the infos. Appreciate it !

I'll start a new thread today asking 2H owners what they think is a normal, sustainable, recommendable RPM/speed for cruising down highways. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom