Help! high pitch sound when revving (sounds like a turbo) - what is causing this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone can identify what the issue is? I recently installed an oil catch can on the passenger side. I thought this was causing the high pitch noise. But I removed it the oil catch can and noise is still there. There is a high pitch sound when revving - this sound happens both in motion and not in motion and increases in intensity with higher rpms. I doubled checked all the PCV and vac hoses and I don't see anything wrong. The strang thing is that is literally sounds like a turbo blow off valve, but I promise my car is not turbo'd or supercharged.

When in motion, there is a tad bit loss of power after 3k rpm I think

Here's a video clip with the sound it makes when revving.

Last edited:
What airbox did you remove? Those are there to reduce induction noise and direct flow. I'd start by putting it back on.

@neoworm sorry if there's confusion in the original post. To clarify - there is nothing that was removed, I was only referring to the "airbox" that got removed to get access to the release valve underneath the intake apparatus - but that part is part of the intake and has since been reinstalled.

I opened the hood and had the engine revving not able to hear it over the fans. Its very faint noise that you can hear when inside and the doors are closed. I'm at a loss...

any thoughts? I'm going to replace PCV lines and see if thats the problem I guess

any thoughts? I'm going to replace PCV lines and see if thats the problem I guess
Not really enough info to guess. Can't really hear it in the video. You can try by removing the serpentine belt and running the engine just to eliminate and timing belt related components. From there since the belt is off you can spin all your pulleys to make sure they aren't possibly the culprits. Once all that checks out you can look more into a vacuum leak or something along those lines.

IDK, need more troubleshooting first.

What is an oil catch can?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom