HELP! Harmonic Balencer/Crankpully bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.alternativemotors.net
I am trying to install mu new AC pulley on my 3B. I have an Impact Wrench and am trying to loosen the crank pulley so I can install the AC pulley. Problem is, I shoot the dern thing for a minute and nothing.

Question:
Is the crank pulley bolt on the 3B reverse thread?
IF not, any idea how to loosen it?

Thanks in advance!

Jeez I just did this one. I did not pull the centre bolt I think. Just the surrounding bolts. I installed an AC pulley in there. And you have to pull the spacer for the AC pulley to have the right placement.

Don't pull the harmonic balancer, just the other bolts around it.

I am trying to install mu new AC pulley on my 3B. I have an Impact Wrench and am trying to loosen the crank pulley so I can install the AC pulley. Problem is, I shoot the dern thing for a minute and nothing.

Question:
Is the crank pulley bolt on the 3B reverse thread?
IF not, any idea how to loosen it?

Thanks in advance!
Im not sure if the thread is reverse,I dont think so. But to get a tight bolt off you might be better off using a big bar. Try raising the vehicle with the bar on the ground and then lower the vehicle using its weight to move the bar;)

breaker bar vs frame.

1/2 bar braced against the frame rail with pipe cheater or such.

then use the starter - works for the 2F syndrome.

(double check the rotation, the thread should be standard right hand twist.)

yah but again I am not sure that bolt needs to come out to change the ac pulley.

Is the next thread going to be " Help I broke my crankbolt"........

I concur with Brown, I just changed my pulley on my 3B ...without pulling the balancer

I concur with Brown, I just changed my pulley on my 3B ...without pulling the balancer

Of course ,you just add an extra sheave onto the crank pulley:doh:

But if you do want to pull the harmonic balancer turn the bolt counter-clock wise to remove.

G-Day
2 Bees

Brown, you must have a diff kind of AC pulley. The used "factory" one I got from Spectre required the crankbolt to come off before it would go on.

About 4 hours and 2 impact wrenchs later (first one was a no-name, second I went out and bought with 550 torque lbs) that SOB bolt came off. grrrr

This factory pulley has a hole big enough for the bolt of the crank bolt (not the head), and two add'n bolts on either side to prevent the pulley from spinning indenpendant from the crank.

I powder coated the bracket and pulley and got them installed. If it helps anyone in the future:
1. It is a hell of alot easier to mount the condensor if you just take the radiator out (fashion your own mounting brackets and use self taping screws to fix it to the radiator mount.
2. YOU NEED TO SHIM THE FAN. dont shim the fan pulley, just the fan. I used 2 5/16" split lock washers on each of the 4 bolt and it JUST clears the newly installed AC pulley.

I got my compressor rebuilt and installed, it lines up perfectly witht he pulley (as far as I can tell). All that is left now is to install the blower, drier, then run the high and low pressure lines and finally connect to the 12v.

Couple more questions if anyone is still reading:
1. Should I put the AC on a fuse? If so what value?
2. In my Max Ellory factory book for the 3B there are tons of differnt tuning specs for motors with HAC installed, do I really need to make these adjustments? :)

Thanks again and anyone attempting this feel free to email me.

OH and the bolt IS NOT reverse thread, I just had my buddy wedge a prybar against the crank pulley for priction while I shot it witht he impact. 26 yrs ago that thing was put on and it DID NOT want to come off!

you definitely had a different version of pulley than me. Mine had 6 or so bolts holding it on and large hole in the centre.

Can you snap a picture of this installed and I will post a pic of the one I am referring to....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom