Help getting axle into new birfield (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
We thought we'd just blown up the locking part of the hub. But, when we got it part, it turned out we'd grenaded the entire birfield. We have it all turn down, but I can't get the snap wring on the axle shaft to drop into the new birfield. I've tried the hose clamp to hold the snap wring place, but the bolt portion of the hose clamp contacts the out portion of the birf and pops off. I tried a large zip tie too, but same thing. We also tried 3 people and 5 screwdrivers to no luck. I'm stuck.

Mar-tack it and eliminate the snap-ring or use a sleeve of sheet metal wrapped around and held with a hose clamp (further inboard than just a clamp over the snap-ring.

Thank you - both are excellent suggestions. I'm looking up the mar-tack. I'm not sure I fully understand how it works.

OMG, the mar-tack. I feel like IH8MUD has been hiding this from me. It's genius. Once I find the nozzle to my MIG (tripped over the cord, flung the pistol into the air, knocking the nozzle off to who knows where), I'll tack the inner end, I can clearly see the wear pattern, and get back to work.

Lol, nice rhyme.

@spotcruiser - that's for the mar-tack suggestion. That was so much easier and makes so much sense. turned out the axle shaft was actually twisted, so, we had to replace that, but we finally got it totally back together yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom