Help! Getting a new Windshield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ShawnTRD,

If you're asking me for a picture, just check my garage. There should be three pictures of my 80 with the new windshield on. Sorry for the delay, I went to the beach to break my leg. Won't be driving the 80 for about 6 weeks! :mad:

Jody

What happen?

Misjudged jumping through a wave and the back end of it got me. While getting pulled back out to sea washing machine style, my heel stuck in the sand, but my body kept on going. It's no fun hearing your fibula snap underwater! I hope the pictues helped. Good luck!

Jody

I had mine ('93) replaced about five years ago, and the lower corners are delaminating. Be sure any warranty will cover that, if not OEM. Wish I could remember the name of the mobile shop that did it. At least it does not leak.

The top tint of my screen is grey and looks kinda cool. The screen was leaking on my 80 and the rubber appeared as if it had shrunk and cracked with age, I took it to a local windscreen replacement company and requested they remove the screen and reinstalled it with an OEM rubber.

Later that week they called me and carried out the work, it is an easy job which you can do yourself however, if they break it they replace it so I left them to it! I noticed he was NOT using any sealant which I queried in my 'spanglish' and he insisted that is how it is done. Well post #60 in https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/365673-my-lc-80-thread.html tells the story. The long and the short of it was the new rubber without sealant leaked like a sieve and I was not impressed. The job was repeated and now all is well it is better IMHO to use OEM seal AND sealant.

regards

Dave

A rock hit mine the other day on the interstate and I now have a 6" crack. I went to Safelite with FSM pages in hand. I have to say that I was pretty impressed as the manager could almost quote me the procedure. He said he had done quite a few of them over the years and had read those pages more than once. He had to order the glass and the OEM seal from Toyota and I'm having it installed next week (I'm out of the country this week). He recommended the blue tint PPG glass; said it would match the rest of the windows closer than anything else that he could get.

I'll report back after it's replaced.

Installed today. They used adhesive, but I wasn't home. I can see some adhesive between the glass and outer stripping. They didn't replace the outer molding but it looks like the molding the glass sites on is new.

0817001644.jpg

It is all one piece of rubber, one channel for the body, one for the glass and one for the cowl if my memory serves me correct.

:mad::mad::skull::bang::bang::censor::censor:

Well it's been raining all day, and was just going to pull the LC into the garage to start working on the brakes and whatever else I get to. And I look bottom of the windshield there is water ON BOTH CORNERS. Calling them F:censor:ers tomorrow and telling then that why I wanted a NEW TOYOTA seal. And it doesn't help that they didn't even use the seal they charged my insurance company for.

I had the same prob, OE seal but no sealer :mad:

relax, where I live we have had torrents of rain and severe flooding i.e. cars being washed out to sea and my windscreen......bone dry :bounce::bounce2:

Stick with your guns, it is your car and you have it fixed the way you want it right? You wll get there in the end.

regards

Dave

Probably didn't put adhesive on it either, from the threads here, the window installers always seem to think they "know better" than to use polyurethane adhesive on both interfaces (sheet metal to seal; seal to glass). Even when they have been told specifically that you want it.

A rock hit mine the other day on the interstate and I now have a 6" crack. I went to Safelite with FSM pages in hand. I have to say that I was pretty impressed as the manager could almost quote me the procedure. He said he had done quite a few of them over the years and had read those pages more than once. He had to order the glass and the OEM seal from Toyota and I'm having it installed next week (I'm out of the country this week). He recommended the blue tint PPG glass; said it would match the rest of the windows closer than anything else that he could get.

I'll report back after it's replaced.

Well the guys at Safelite in Mobile Alabama did a great job. They had the OEM Toyota gasket waiting and the guy explained to me how he would activate both sides, glue in the windshield with adhesive, wait an hour or so, install and then apply the adhesive around the outside of the seal. They even said that they would have to pull the cowl (per the FSM).

The previous owner had the windshield replaced just before I bought it and they did a pretty messy job (adhesive on the A-pillar, etc.). The Safelite guys cleaned all that up and it really looks like it just rolled out of the factory. I haven't been through any rain yet but I'm not worried about it.

In talking to the installer afterwards, he said that he has done quite a few of the Land Cruisers over the years and was well aware of all the steps required. He even said that one time a customer kept complaining about the windshield leaking and that he (the installer) traced the issue to a plugged sunroof drain (and unplugged it for the customer). It's great to actually have your expectations exceeded occasionally.

Well the guys at Safelite in Mobile Alabama did a great job. They had the OEM Toyota gasket waiting and the guy explained to me how he would activate both sides, glue in the windshield with adhesive, wait an hour or so, install and then apply the adhesive around the outside of the seal. They even said that they would have to pull the cowl (per the FSM).

The previous owner had the windshield replaced just before I bought it and they did a pretty messy job (adhesive on the A-pillar, etc.). The Safelite guys cleaned all that up and it really looks like it just rolled out of the factory. I haven't been through any rain yet but I'm not worried about it.

In talking to the installer afterwards, he said that he has done quite a few of the Land Cruisers over the years and was well aware of all the steps required. He even said that one time a customer kept complaining about the windshield leaking and that he (the installer) traced the issue to a plugged sunroof drain (and unplugged it for the customer). It's great to actually have your expectations exceeded occasionally.

I had the same thing happen to me in Maryland. I used the Safelite up there, and when I went in the morning for my appointment, the guy said that his people didn't deliver the gasket overnight and that I had to come back later. I told him that I basically had taken a day off from work to get this done, and he apologized and did the entire windshield replacement, according to the FSM, for free. All I paid for was the glass. His shop ate the cost of the new gasket and the labor. I was very impressed.

I had Safelite recently repair a small chip in the windshield, insurance paided for it with no increase and it is covered with a lifetime warratny. If you look closely you can still the damaged area, but they use a resin to fill in the damage and UV light cure the product. Overall good experience with no "real" issues.

Just had safelite replace mine, they used the bronze tint with the sunshade area on top, really like it, hard to show in a picture, it has absolutely no effect or lack of visibility on top part but def helps somewhat with glare of sun, would recomend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom