Help. Gassy smell in cab and engine bay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is a strong gasoline odor coming somewhere from my 60 series. I followed the fuel line from thegas tank to the carb and there were nor leaks. When idling at a stop light or even driving slowly, the odor is sucked into the cab. At highway speeds it goes away. With the garage door shut it was as if we had poured gas all over the floor.:eek: It seems like the odor is coming from the engine bay, but not sure. I checked the air filter (for some reason or another) and it really didn't have any residue odor. also, is the "gate" on the top of the carb supposed to be vertical (or open) or should it be in a horizontal (or closed) position when the engine is off? It seems that I remember other cars having that "gate" closed until the pedal was depressed enough. Is that right???

Any ideas???:confused:

Thanks for the help,
Blue 60

Return line is clear? Vapor canister lines intact. Take the gas cap off see if it is building pressure. Spilling on the intake from the carb?

No spills on the intake. There's always a bit of neg. pressure when the tank is empty, but I don't think so now... I'll check later. I'll check the return line too. Vapor canister??? Is that the charcoal canister?

Thanks

Had a problem on one of Sal Fishes SCORE trucks where a fuel hose was hooked up wrong. When vehicle was parked, fuel leaked onto ground from charcoal cannister (literally flooded canister). Heck, we could have burned down Ensenada that day!!!

Not sure if this is any help but when I had a strong gas smell it was actually from the fillneck. I opened the inner panel and found gas. The hose from the fillneck to the tank can also be rotten. Of course, then the smell would be from the back and not from the engine.

charcoal canister, carb or breather lines

Yup - I agree with the other folks...

- check the Charcoal canister, especially that little 90 degree hose on the top - I've had to replace that on my 60.

- also check the Carb - looking at it from the DS fender, look for the plunger lookin' thingie, there's a little rubber gasket it goes into, near the base. Mine has a little leak, and stinks alot when it leaks. It's intermittent leak on mine, though.

- Rear breather lines - (yeah - it would be smellin' near the back of the cruiser) BUT...doesn't hurt to check. Open the panel on the PS rear cargo area, there's little box with a handful of hoses coming in/out of it. check to be sure nothing's rusted through, etc...

check on the dirver's side of the carb about 5 to 10 min after you cut the engine off fo see if you have a leak. "slow-cut" valve would leak after truck sat for a few minutes and when it was running at various throttle settings.

I had this problem and I found that if my gas cap was loose I would have the strong gas odor. If I cranked the cap tight after gassing up I noticed that I could still pull it off with little effort. I then just tightened it up finger tight and no more odor. Hope this helps, Mike;)

is THAT what thing is called?

check on the dirver's side of the carb about 5 to 10 min after you cut the engine off fo see if you have a leak. "slow-cut" valve would leak after truck sat for a few minutes and when it was running at various throttle settings.

So...are we talking about the same thing? I've always wondered what that plunger-type-doo-hickey was called.

With engine running, check fuel line connections at fuel pump; esp line to carb.

Found mine to be lod, brittle & weeping...a tear of gas ...drip,drip,...only with engine running; made a real heavy 'gas smell' under the hood/ sucked in through outside air intake for cabin A/C.

I had this problem, then I realized I ate beans the night before ;p

I checked the air filter (for some reason or another) and it really didn't have any residue odor. also, is the "gate" on the top of the carb supposed to be vertical (or open) or should it be in a horizontal (or closed) position when the engine is off? It seems that I remember other cars having that "gate" closed until the pedal was depressed enough. Is that right???

Any ideas???:confused:

Thanks for the help,
Blue 60

I do belive that is the Choke Plate you are talking about and the Throttle Plate you are thinking about.

Have you had the gas tank replaced per the recall?

I had mine replaced and this helped with the gas smell enormously.

HTH

Matt

I had the same problem with mine.It sounds like the canister is stopped up.I replaced the fuel cap also and that helped.Good luck

I had this problem and I found that if my gas cap was loose I would have the strong gas odor. If I cranked the cap tight after gassing up I noticed that I could still pull it off with little effort. I then just tightened it up finger tight and no more odor. Hope this helps, Mike;)

i had a very similar problem/solution...turns out my filler cap was worn out, and when turned all the way closed did not keep a tight seal. now when i fill up, i hand tighten it about a quarter of a turn until just snug. works like a charm!

I can't believe nobody has asked this question:
What does your diet consist of?

The Answer

We took a look right after driving it and while it was running and it turns out that the fuel pump had a leak that we didn't see before. Thus being in the engine bay, the fumes were readily available to the vent while idling and at low speeds. Thanks for all the suggestions. I've learned a lot about my truck thru this mess. I also found out that the fuel tank and the seatbelts have been replaced already.

Here's to to those of you who were willing to help. :beer::beer::beer:

Blue 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom