Help! Fzj80 no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have a 1996 80 series with a 1fz that cranks but won't start.

I drove it 2 days ago, parked it, and went to start it with no success. There were no issues (CEL, etc.) before parking it.

I have checked voltage at the battery, fusible links are good, no fuses blown, cleaned MAF (with MAF cleaner - long shot but worth a try). Also tried switching EFI relay with one from the kick panel to no avail.

It is getting spark to the plugs. No codes

FPR clicks when key is turned, CEL is on when key is in "On" position and while cranking.

Any ideas? Crank position sensor?

I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a 1996 80 series with a 1fz that cranks but won't start.

I drove it 2 days ago, parked it, and went to start it with no success. There were no issues (CEL, etc.) before parking it.

I have checked voltage at the battery, fusible links are good, no fuses blown, cleaned MAF (with MAF cleaner - long shot but worth a try). Also tried switching EFI relay with one from the kick panel to no avail.

It is getting spark to the plugs. No codes

FPR clicks when key is turned, CEL is on when key is in "On" position and while cranking.

Any ideas? Crank position sensor?

I appreciate the help.
Are you getting fuel? Check the fuel pressure regulator return line. When you pull that line and try to crank it and don’t see fuel coming out that means you aren’t getting fuel if I remember correctly. This happened to me and turned out to be a dead fuel pump. No prior symptoms. Left me stranded during a camping trip. Lol

^^^Yup

OK so no fuel came out of the regulator return line. I also tried bypassing the FPR but no luck either.
I ordered a new fuel pump and will install it this weekend.

So does anyone have a part number of the electrical connector that goes to the fuel pump.

I removed the pump and it disintegrated.

IMG_20200215_094937.jpg

Hopefully someone will chime in that knows, but just in case the part number should be somewhere on the connector. You may need a flashlight and inspect it very carefully. Sometimes the number is written very small.

Thank you so much for everyone's help! The new pump did the trick.

Not sure if the pump actually died or if it was just that disintegrated connector. Maybe I'll get around to testing the old one for the hell of it.

Thanks again,
Anders

Keep old pump as trail spare. I bet it still works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom