HELP...Front panhard bolt and impossible nut? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.grenadaseafaris.com
Hello cruiser guru's

A little help needed.....I Just changed the front panhard rod bushes on my 1995 FJz80, this is a RHD uk model but i don't think that makes a difference with the issue i have.

Where the pan hard rod mounts to the axle by the front suspension spring (left side of the truck the bolt just spins, so either there is a thread in the bracket which is stripped, or it needs a nut, but the hole is small and not sure how i could get a nut in there as i cant even get my finger in the hole let alone a nut a wrench to hold it.

Am i missing something.

Any help would be excellent as i am kinda stuck with this....

Hello cruiser guru's

A little help needed.....I Just changed the front panhard rod bushes on my 1995 FJz80, this is a RHD uk model but i don't think that makes a difference with the issue i have.

Where the pan hard rod mounts to the axle by the front suspension spring (left side of the truck the bolt just spins, so either there is a thread in the bracket which is stripped, or it needs a nut, but the hole is small and not sure how i could get a nut in there as i cant even get my finger in the hole let alone a nut a wrench to hold it.

Am i missing something.

Any help would be excellent as i am kinda stuck with this....
On the LHD versions, the nut is welded behind the bracket (on the right side of the axle housing) and the bolt comes in from the front and is threaded into that welded nut. If the welds on the nut have broken loose, the nut will just spin. You will have to attempt a weld back there to stop the nut or cut it out with a torch or the like.

This has been a real issue for a few folks. You MAY be able to pound a chisel or something back there that will wedge the nut and allow it to hold enough to get it loose.

If you're trying to get it back together and it just spins, then you need to weld the nut back there before you have an issue.

Make sure you use anti-seize when going back togeher.

On the LHD versions, the nut is welded behind the bracket (on the right side of the axle housing) and the bolt comes in from the front and is threaded into that welded nut. If the welds on the nut have broken loose, the nut will just spin. You will have to attempt a weld back there to stop the nut or cut it out with a torch or the like.

This has been a real issue for a few folks. You MAY be able to pound a chisel or something back there that will wedge the nut and allow it to hold enough to get it loose.

If you're trying to get it back together and it just spins, then you need to weld the nut back there before you have an issue.

Make sure you use anti-seize when going back togeher.
Hi,

Yes your suspension setup is the reversed to mine, thats good to know.

Ok thanks for the quick reply, i pulled the bolt out and can see the thread on the captivated nut, the nut seems to be still welded on but thread on the nut and bolt look worn and a bit buggered up.

Will have to get a new bolt and some nuts and work out a way to get the nut behind there, right now i am thinking welding a piece of 3/8 flat steel that can be bent to both line the nut up and also stop it spinning when I tighten it up.

Don't suppose you know what size the bolt is do you, i will order a oem bolt but will get a few nuts to experiment my welded on.

Thanks.
How900

Hi,

Yes your suspension setup is the reversed to mine, thats good to know.

Ok thanks for the quick reply, i pulled the bolt out and can see the thread on the captivated nut, the nut seems to be still welded on but thread on the nut and bolt look worn and a bit buggered up.

Will have to get a new bolt and some nuts and work out a way to get the nut behind there, right now i am thinking welding a piece of 3/8 flat steel that can be bent to both line the nut up and also stop it spinning when I tighten it up.

Don't suppose you know what size the bolt is do you, i will order a oem bolt but will get a few nuts to experiment my welded on.

Thanks.
How900
I don't know the size off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will chime in with it.

You can also do a search for it and that may show you how others have done it as well as what size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom