Help from mechanically inclined (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still being pretty new to the do it yourself mechanic game, can anyone give some help on what it would take to find a V8 to put in an 89 FJ62 Landcruiser?

I don't know how to go about finding one and then approximate prices of what it would be to buy and then to get installed.

Any help would be appreciated. There's a nice 89 in Tempe that has a siezed engine. It's 6 years newer than the brown turd, has more creature comforts and has very little rust (unlike my 83 rust bucket)
I can get it for cheap, but I will need to put a new engine in and want to go with a V8 for power.

Thanks guys

Are you sure it really needs a new motor?
Could just need a small amount of work. :D
Lemme take a look at it.
If you buy it, and we can't get the 3F-E running, a decent V8 is relatively easy to find.
But the work/expense involved in the swap can run up there.
I'd try and steer you towards a 2UZ-FE, but that's just me. :D

Nope- not sure. I just know that he said "the engine is seized" - Being dumb I took that as it needed a new motor, but I like your idea better! :D

Maybe we could meet up one night and take a look at it? Where are you located?

I'm in North PHX, but I work in Mesa, Right off the 101 and 202.

I'm driving the beast tomorrow (usually, I carpool with the pregnant wife) or if you're busy we can do it another day.

What time do you get off work and what's a good day for you?

thanks for the help!

Same thing i said on the swanky board

I saw that Titus- thanks for the good info. Depending on what hj60 thinks, I will use it.

SBC... that's all I got to say. Well maybe not. Now if I could get some "Me" time with "my" 60 I'd get my own conversion finished up. I'm right in the middle of a V8 swap on my 60. I should be into the whole swap for under $3k. I'm going TBI 350 with 700r4 auto and splitcase Cruiser T-case.

If you decide to do the Small Block Chevy conversion (which I think you should), I can hook you up with the guy that I got my motor and trans from. He's always got a couple motors for sale.

BMAN- what does SBC stand for?

BTW- Leland and I were both Prez of the Xterra club that was incorporated so if you have any questions let me/ us know! Good luck and I will be as active as possible to help get things rollin'

xrock said:
BMAN- what does SBC stand for?

SBC = Small Block Chevy.

The SBC swap has been done so many times into so many vehicles that most if not all of the kinks have been worked out. Lots of aftermarket support for the swap plus hundreds of online tech resources.

Warning though... motor swaps are sort of addicting. Before you complete your first one you are already planning another.

I'm going to go check it out tonight and weigh the options. If I get this one, I'll start getting the engine in order and then sell the '83 60.

Last edited:
xrock-
I usually get off at 15:30.
Might be earlier tomorrow.
Call me on my cell and leave a message.
602-432-7577

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom