Help for a noob? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys looks like a friendly site, have been into cruisers for a while and just looking at buying my first one, had many toyota 4runner's, but i wanted a toyota diesel as my next truck, I am looking at buying this truck which is a toyota KJ japanese import, right hand drive stick shift, It is an 89 with a 2.4 L-T engine, Can anyone tell me please a little more about this engine?, i have looked through the forums and stuff but i really would like to know the faults in the engine i have heard the heads go but you can fix that buy replacing it with a 3 liter head? how much can i get out of a tank?. Secound is how is the truck it self looked great drove nice, how are the Tranny's in these, god so many questions. If someone would just give me a run down on the whole truck that would be amazing, pic just because
cruiser.jpg

Thanks alot Aaron.

Most guys here will say don't buy it, I dont know much about these 2lt shorties other than the many posts saying run away from it due to the mechaninal problems with the head and lack of power.
The guys in Europe where they are more available dont seem to have any issues just us Canadians who seem to destroy them i guess we are just to hard on our cruisers.
I saw this one today on CL there is no price listed on it but it has very low mileage and looks to be in good condition but if the price is close to the 10G range I would hold out for a BJ7* series more reliable.

Last edited:
Hey cool another vancouver guy, White rock, its so hard to decide i have been looking and reading so much about them, it had a rebuilt motor i dont know what head they used, I was told they just went to toyota and orderd the parts in from japan ? bj are soo much money and rare unless you import it.

Thanks Aaron.

Hey cool another vancouver guy, White rock, its so hard to decide i have been looking and reading so much about them, it had a rebuilt motor i dont know what head they used, I was told they just went to toyota and orderd the parts in from japan ? bj are soo much money and rare unless you import it.

Thanks Aaron.

Hey Aaron,

If they replaced head to 3.0 l then its should be ok but i ll say to stay away from 2lt because they will eat all of your money . I ll say go and get Bj74 ! I bought landcruiser bj74 from japan. Its worth it !!!! :bounce:

Tyrell Magel

Thanks Aaron.

Hey Aaron,

Maybe you need to willing to travel to Alberta and they got some good and cheap bj74

here is the link of 1988 bj74 140 000 km

1988 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ74 - Calgary SUV, Crossover For Sale - Kijiji Calgary

The 2lt is a mechanical diesel . The 2lte is a different story.

ummm, the 3L head does not fit the older 2LT engines.

IF you like to worry about things then the head will be eating at you constantly. every time you go to climb a hill, every time you see a drop of water under the truck, every time you want to go for that long trek through the mountains.

IF you like to throw good money after bad (and still have the worry)

IF you like a lack of power

IF you have no common sense

then go buy it.

me, i loved the shorty 88 LJ70 i had. it rocked both on the road and off. boosted to 14 psi, small lift with 35 skiniies.
but then i am a sucker for punishment.

seriously, shop for something that doen't have the LJ/LN/KZ letters in the serial number.

The 2lt is a mechanical diesel . The 2lte is a different story.

My mistake for spelling 2LT-E wrong they both have the same problems anyway its the same components.

Im going back to TOYOTA spelling scholl (school) monday rats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom